Video: 18 foot Great White Shark
Earth Touch’s Wild Oceans page has posted a video featuring an 18-foot great white shark swimming in Guadalupe, Mexico. The shark is named Mystery and is a well known visitor to the island. The video was filmed by Jimi Partington.
Scientists capture video of a deep sea fish with “feet”
During NOAA’s Okeanos exploration of the Mona Canyon off the coast of Puerto Rico during the Oceano Profundo a deep sea fish was filmed walking along the bottom. The Pink Frogmouth, Chaunax pictus, is a type of anglerfish that uses modified fins to “walk” across the seafloor.
Nikon replaces older batteries for D500 owners
Nikon are offering a free battery exchange for D500 owners that are have EN-EL15 batteries that were made prior to summer 2013. The camera dose not provide an accurate battery life indicator with the older batteries. The older versions are marked as “Li-ion01” whilst the newer are “Li-ion20”.
BBC offers wildlife camera operator bursary
The BBC is offering a bursary to “develop an emerging camera operator”. The successful applicant will work alongside wildlife camera operators and program makers during the filming of the next big BBC Natural History Unit production; Seven Worlds.
Inon announces X-2 Lanyard Kit
Inon has announced details of their lanyard plates for the X-2 housing. The set consists of two plates, mounting bolts and rubber grommets. The holes in the plates allow the attachment of commercially available lanyards. The grommets prevent any metal to metal contact and its associated noise.
Indonesia foils whale shark export attempt
Noodilab updates the Moby lens to Moby Plus
Noodilab has announced that they have discontinued their Moby lens and replaced it with the Moby Plus. The new lens featured three upgraded elements and it now offers a magnification of 3.8 times at its 31.5mm minimum working distance, and 2.4 times at its 48mm maximum working distance.
Updates from the Lembeh Gulen Critter Shootout
Today is the last shooting day for the Critter Shootout in Lembeh, Indonesia and Gulen, Norway. The final of three competitions, today’s subject is fish. Competitors in Lembeh have completed their three 60-minute dives, edited their photos and submitted their selections to the competition. Norway is still diving and will submit their images at 10pm CEST for public voting. Please check back for the link and to vote for your favorite image. Please see Wetpixel’s reports from the previous days too.
- Indonesia: WWF's Lida Pet-Soede on Overfishing (via DivePhotoGuide)
- RIP Point-and-Shoots? (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Top 10 DPG Features from 2012 (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Sentencing of shark catcher welcomed (via African Diver)
- British Wildlife Photography Awards Now Open (via DivePhotoGuide)
- New York Underwater Photography Society Meeting: Adding Divers… (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Video of the Week: “Life of a Wave Photographer” (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Rumors: Post CP+ Show Speculation for Nikon and Canon DSLRs (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Video: Photographing Antarctic’s Leopard Seal (via DivePhotoGuide)
- Mobile Photography Awards Feature Stunning Pics (via DivePhotoGuide)