Behind the scenes of the Humane Society’s shark fin campaign photo shoot
Recently Nick Saglimbeni and singer Jhené Aiko joined The Humane Society’s Protect Sharks campaign to highlight the importance of protecting sharks from the impact of finning them for shark fin soup. The behind the scenes video shows how they got the shots in a pool during the day and talks about the importance of protecting these animals.
Do you know your warty from your hairy?
Fiji hit by tropical storm
The islands of Fiji were struck by a record breaking storm on Saturday night. Winds reached 184 mph (296 kph) and have brought with them heavy rains and huge seas. The storm, named Winston, has left a trail of destruction throughout the islands and has killed at least 10 people. We fervently hope that the death toll does not rise further and that our many friends in Fiji have escaped the worst of the destruction. Our community’s thoughts and prayers are with you. (Photo - Fijian Government).
Palau combats illegal fishing through satellites
Palau is leading the world by example in the effort to combat illegal fishing in its waters. In a recent and riveting article, the New York Times dove into the challenges faced by the island nation in upholding the protections put in place to conserve ocean wildlife. Palau is embracing the use of satellites to track illegal fishing vessels, from extremely remote locations.
Deadline approaching: DEEP Indonesia 2016
The deadline for entries to the 2016 DEEP Indonesia contest is fast approaching. This competition is the other half of the renowned Underwater Competition Series, which is offering a total of more than $100,000 in prizes this year. The deadline for the competition is Thursday, 25 February.
Introducing the Canon G7 X Mark II
Canon announces EOS 80D
Zena Holloway’s latest images for the Birmingham Royal Ballet
The latest project of renowned underwater photographer Zena Holloway features the dancers of the Birmingham Royal Ballet, underwater. The images are part of a promotion for the ballet’s latest production, the Tempest.
- In pictures: midwinter magic (via BBC)
- Jack W. Lavanchy awarded EUF Honorary Vice President title (via African Diver)
- Mapping the world’s vertebrates (via BBC)
- In pictures: Celebrating ecology (via BBC)
- Our World Underwater and DEEP Indonesia (via African Diver)
- New product - the Quikpod (via African Diver)
- Dolphin therapy and swimming with dolphins (via African Diver)
- Bull shark research in Mozambique - 3 Fathoms (via African Diver)
- Dive China 2013 (via African Diver)
- Conservation in Mozambique - Eyes on the Horizon (via African Diver)