Sea&Sea has announced their MDX housing for the Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless camera. It is compatible with the company’s MDX ports and gears and has dual focus/zoom gears for EF and RF mount lenses. Sea&Sea has also announced that there will be an Optical YS Converter available for the housing and camera.
Details about shipping times and pricing are to be confirmed.
From Sea&Sea’s website
U/W Housing for Canon EOS R
State-of-the-art housing for the full-frame mirrorless Canon EOS R camera. Compact, compatible with the Optical YS Converter and ergonomically designed.
Spare O-Ring Set (Product No.62121)
Port System Chart
Accessories for Mirrorless Camera Housing
Designed to be compact and lightweight.
Taking advantages of the mirrorless camera’s compact design and lightweight, the housings have been designed accordingly to enhance these features. Compared to SLR MDX-5D Mark lV camera housing, the MDX-R is 100g/3.5oz lighter in weight on land.
(Weight) MDX-R: 2,900g/102oz, MDX-5D Mark lV: 3,000g/106oz
Ports and gears for the MDX series SLR housings can be used.
The MDX-R is compatible with the system chart for the MDX series SLR housings. You can utilize EF mount lenses with the mount adapter and ports/gears for the MDX series housings.
Port System Chart
Compatible with Optical YS Converter C/R (tentative name). TTL strobe photography possible.
The new optional Optical YS Converter C/R* which converts the camera’s hot-shoe TTL signal into an LED light signal is available. With the converter, both TTL and manual exposure photography is possible.
*Currently developing new firmware.
Designed for RF mount lenses.
The Focus/Zoom dial has two gears, one which is dedicated for RF mount lenses.
The camera’s upper control panel is visible.
A window for the camera’s upper control panel is also incorporated. As the brightness of the camera’s upper control panel has increased, the visibility is now greatly improved.
MDX-R Other Features
- The Port Lock prevents the port from turning or loosening and the Port Lock lever is specifically located to avoid being unlocked accidentally.
- The housing is equipped with a lens-lock release button which makes it possible to change lenses easily, without opening the housing.
- Pulling out the Focus/Zoom Dial gives sufficient room inside the housing to easily accommodate larger diameter lenses.
- All controls have luminescence stickers which glow in dark environment.
- Equipped with the Optical Viewfinder 0.5x as standard. Other optional viewfinders such as Optical Viewfinder 0.66x, and 0.8x can be used.
※Some vignetting occurs. When the VF45 and VF180 1.2x is mounted onto the housing, the corners of the camera’s viewfinder cannot be viewed due to vignetting.
- Sync Cord 2-pin Connector enables the use of conventional hardwired Sync cable (Manual mode only).
- Equipped with two sacrificial zinc diodes (one on the front case and the other on the rear) to prevent electrolysis damage.
- Equipped with under guard to protect from scratches.