Brian and Bruce,
I am in the states and made a go of this project this past weekend and eventually had some success. Of course, now I have to wait for my newly purchased lenses to arrive (inon macro and wide-angle).
Some things I noted during construction:
1 - Using a hack saw to remove the 62mm ring was not particularly difficult. I secured the ring vertically in a table vice and had no issues with bending or crushing the ring. Just be careful not to tighten too much.
2 - I attempted to use the cellophane sheet method that Brian described, but had a tough time converting that template to the ring. Instead, I cut a file folder (or other rigid paper) in a 67mm circle, using the lens as a stencil; I also left a little tab on the circle as a finger hold (see picture below). Then I transferred the template from the stencil to the paper circle and glued the circle to the flat part of the step up ring. Using this method, I now had a clear and accurate template, and a natural guide for the drill bit once I got through the paper layer.
3 - Brian's instructions recommend using a center punch to mark the holes. My first go around I actually used the center punch to create a divot for the drill, but might have been over zealous as it warped the ring significantly. Be gentle, it's delicate!
4 - Order more Step-up rings than just 1! digitalfotoclub.com has them for $4.00 a piece, so stock up.
I'll return back some time in the next couple weeks when I get my lenses with some results.
Thanks again for this post Brian!