Sign in to follow this  
NWDiver

Great Whites

So if you did not want to sit thru the slide show here are a few more. The one of the cage is WP member jdaley. Another small world meeting.

post-1729-1128613148_thumb.jpg

post-1729-1128613182_thumb.jpg

Haha, post as many as you want! I especially like the beautiful bronze color of that last face portrait.

Cheers

James

NWDiver,

Great shots! I just got back myself and will post some when I get a chance. You did much better than with the straight on mouth agape shots than I did. That one above really shows off the power of these amazing creatures!

NWDiver

Are you sharpen after you reduce the size of the Jpegs? Seems a tad over sharpened to me. Just an observation.

They are magnificent creatures. Still remember my first encounter with one without a cage. Just swam in close to check out the activity and went on its merry way.

These were the first shots I used CS2 on and did on my laptop. I think I did sharpen them after resizing since they looked really grainy. Been told to use Smart Sharpen rather than unmask. After seeing them I don't think I would panic if came across one while diving, but I sure would look to get up against the reef and get the h*** out of the water at the first chance.

Hehehe there's the difference. I would jump into the water (with scuba!) if there was one around. We had one circle the boat once and no one wanted to let me go in the water. I assured them I'd be fine so long as the viz was good. I almost started a riot on the boat. However, if there was chumming or baiting around, I wouldn't be as dumb.

South Africa, off Durban. On infrequent occasions, you get them coming into Aliwal Shoal, where the tiger and bull sharks hang.

The skipper was ok with it, but the other passengers almost wanted to physically restrain me! LOL Damn Jaws movie just made life miserable for these guys.

Great shots, i didn't do the slide show sorry...

Drew, i'd let you go....and follow too

See that's a mistake... always take the lead... the shark approaches from behind usually LOL

Seriously though, I feel great whites are much more docile than pesky Silkies and Makos. The silkies especially like to test you. Now that I've dived with great whites and learnt alot from the South African guys who do it regularly (watch Beyond Fear on NGC) about their behavior, when they get aggressive and when they are curious.

Basically the idea is to say to them" I'm smaller and uglier than you, but I will damage you enough so cousin Jabba in the back there will chomp you after you chomp me!"

It's amazing how they have this sense of self-preservation to the point where they know they cannot afford to be hurt.

Last pic at 3rd post is great! Very very sharp and good color and light. I like the two sharks at 2nd post, nice composition. I enjoy watching skarks pictures and I' ve enjoyed whatching yours ;)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements