james

Baby Titan Trigger

Hi Gang,

Here's a photo of what I think is a baby titan trigger. I took this one at Secret Bay:

050812_bali_KN0X4428.jpg

He was very shy for a titan, but he wouldn't yield his/her ground.

Cheers

James

Oh look, there's a baby tooth coming in :-)

On a dive in Bunaken last August an experienced local dive guide swimming just twenty feet from me was bitten twice by an adult Titan Triggerfish. She did not even see it coming. The more serious bite was to her finger. The other bite left a black and blue mark on her leg though it was through a 5 mm wetsuit.

When my friends ask me if I saw any sharks on my trip I reply "Yes, but it wasn't the sharks I needed to worry about....."

-Brad

Talking about teeth, this one must be the mother, shot at close range with the 12-24mm... :D

post-4904-1128703063_thumb.jpg

...but they're very friendly in Mauritius. No joke.

Mat

Trust me Alex, they're real cuddly things there. Never thought they could be aggressive until I moved to Asia a few years back... but then I learnt that lesson real fast! :D

Mat

Here is a distant shot of my wife as she is thinking "Ok, what just grabbed hold of my fin?"

Those cowardly little devils like to strike where you are not looking.

We quickly moved out of this fish's territory.

triggerattack.jpg

Another photographer in the group had a chuck of plastic bitten from the front of his strobe.

-Brad

Ever seen an ear lobe bit off? I have :D Don't wear ear rings while diving :D

Joe

I have, one former guest had 50 stitches to his ear, you could almost stick your little finger through the hole in the lobe...

Lucky his travelling partner was a plastic surgeon...

Nice pic James! Your Titan's daddy tried to attack me last month ;) I've never been so afraid of a fish before that day!

Those cowardly little devils like to strike where you are not looking.

I'm not sure I'd classify them as "cowardly" -- more like "wild-ass psycho"! :)

I've had several of them beeline straight at me (my face) when I entered their nesting territory (in fact, I've got some video warding one off with my camcorder, and then with my fins). Once in awhile you find one calmly preoccupied with moving coral around and can get close, but prudence is definitely the better part of valor with the little bastards...

My my, grannie, what big teeth you have! ;)

post-65-1129757893_thumb.jpg

I had a shark sucker bite my ear on a safety stop. Thought it was Rand playing a joke by yanking down hard on my ear. The little bugger would not leave us alone. Same type of harassment happened to someone else on the the stop too. And people think I should be scared of the Tiger sharks ;)

Here is my titan triggerfish image - I usually give them a wide berth.

I was using a macro lens and a clown trigger and this titan wouldn't leave me alone.

Fortunately this encounter was not aggressive as this was a very large one.

regards

ron

post-971-1129770099_thumb.jpg

Sponsors

Advertisements