Sign in to follow this  
acroporas

Warning - be careful when cleaning Magic Filter

I post in hope that people will read this and not make the same mistake I did.

Today I tryed to clean one of my Magic filters with my Lens/sensor cleaning solution. Not a good Idea. It cleaned it a little(or maby a lot) too much. Good thing I got the 3-pack. For thouse wondering, it was Eclipse - mostly Methanol I believe.

Ohh, and Alex, you might want to put a warning on the Magic Filter website and pamplets.

Magic.jpg

D'oh!

Thanks for the tip, William.

I've updated the website - and included your picture as a warning on the filters page:

http://www.magic-filters.com/filters.html

Hope that is OK?

I have also put an additional warning with the notes about looking after the filters:

http://www.magic-filters.com/about.html

I will speak to Peter and I think we will probably send out a general email to those who have bought the filters.

Coincidently, alcohol is having a similar effect on my digestive system this morning - after rather a heavy night out last night :D

Alex

p.s. I would also add that it is probably best not to use alcohol on lenses either as it tends to remove the fancy optical coatings that they put on them these days.

p.s. I would also add that it is probably best not to use alcohol on lenses either as it tends to remove the fancy optical coatings that they put on them these days.

That's a very good remark, Alex. Optical coatings for camea lenses and ports are typically sputtered coatings, which do not have a very strong bond (relatively speaking) with the glass substrate. Port and lens coatings can be easily damaged by even water droplets left to dry on their surface. For this reason, coated surfaces should be quickly dried when wet, e.g. after a dive.

Mat

Thanks for the tip, William.

I've updated the website - and included your picture as a warning on the filters page:

http://www.magic-filters.com/filters.html

Hope that is OK?

I have also put an additional warning with the notes about looking after the filters:

http://www.magic-filters.com/about.html

I will speak to Peter and I think we will probably send out a general email to those who have bought the filters.

Coincidently, alcohol is having a similar effect on my digestive system this morning - after rather a heavy night out last night :D 

Alex

Yes, of course it is ok to use the picture on the site. Anything to make sure others do not repeat my mistake.

A timely warning, as I just took a Magic Filter for a first test-dive Saturday. I was a little perturbed to find what looked like a big band of grease across the middle of the first gel I pulled out of the bag (with tweezers, one corner only). Tthis was a small gel for the 10.5 mm. ) I tried to remove the smudge with a photographer's chamois. It didn't work, and I almost tried lens cleaning solution but didn't have time.

To be honest, I couldn't see any effect of the smear on the test images I took Saturday. (It runs diagonally right across the filter, so presumably I would have noticed if there is a problem. But normally I still would not want to put anything as dirty as this was in the optical line for shooting anything important. Is there an approved method for cleaning these filters?

Frogfish (Robert)

Here's one of my test shots from Saturday with the 10.5 mm. You could say that I'm quite happy with the Magic Filter. There were much better examples of what this filter can do with closer subjects, but they weren't very interesting as images. This is the only manta shot that even partly worked, I was having trouble with the sunbursts,but then again I always do.

post-1236-1129000213_thumb.jpg

I was having trouble with the sunbursts,but then again I always do.

It's a good suggestion not to go for sunbursts when using the magic filter as you ideally need the sun behind you to light up the subject you are photographing .. although understandably you can't control where a manta goes.

When shooting with a filter and available light you will have an exposure that really isn't suited to have the sun in it at all hence the suggestions to have the sun behind you and shotting slightly downwards.

still not a half bad shot but i am a sucker for mantas ;)

I am going to try and use the filter in our semi submarine tomorrow (glass bottom boat type deal )www.nautilus.ky) to see if it works well enough for some other fun stuff I could use / do on trips ..

Now it's a custom MAGIC-STROBE filter!

Shhhhhhh, don't let that get out, otherwise everyone will want one and Peter and Alex won't ever have time to get back in the water....

Off to write a custom photoshop filter to WB only the correct part....

Hey on the site on the "buy" page it says: The two pictures on the right, of the same coral head, were taken by Alex (left) and Peter (right)... on my computer pictures come up on the left?

--Chris

Your right Chris, looks the same to me.....You see they use the metric system over there and in the metric system right is on the left. Those silly English people.

;):angry:

Sarcasm from an American? ....not bad...but you have some work to do to catch up to Kelpfish Joe

And why is your camera MIA?

Someone broke into my car when I was eating dinner after a dive. Took almost all my camera equipment. Didnt touch my dive gear though.

On the plus side, it was insured and if insurance pays out what I think they will, I will soon be upgrading to a 5D.

5D? Sweet! See, sometimes things can be good.

But it sucks to have that stuff stolen, sorry to hear about that

Sorry to hear about the stolen camera, William.

Sorry for the Website errors - I am actually going to redo the website over the next week as it has many weaknesses.

Mike, you might be interested that the Magic Filter video tests went very well in SE Asia with the Sony HC1 HDV last month. I will try and get a video clip online in the website update - boy that camera captures some detail.

Alex

Eh? you didn't want me as your crash test dummy....? ;)

SOunds good though, i should be getting the Phenom housing any day so i would certainly be interested in testing it for that if you have one that fits the Z...

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements