Marc Furth

Secure twin strobe placement

I find it’s quite difficult to beach dive with a twin strobe setup. The strobes are always breaking loose and floundering all over the place making life much to difficult .I finally came up with a good mount and their now staying put. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and how they were dealing with it ? I also imagine you can have the same problem walking from one end of the boat to the other.

Marc

I think James ever posted a pic of securing his strobe arms with fast release clips....i thought that would work.

now let me go find that pic posted in 2004.....

Eric

I think the brand names is "Fastex" They are the kind of buckles like on a backpack that release when you squeeze them. I use one at the joint for each of my arm segments to make my housing look like this:

strobe//\\strobe

.........| |

.........----

HOpe my ASCII art makes sense. There's a photo out there somewhere which I'm sure someone will find and hotlink.

Cheers

James

Looks like hieroglyphics to me, I 'd like to see the picture if it’s out there.

Marc

That's it! And it's Joe's site nonetheless.

I'm sure he won't mind me hotlinking in one of his photos:

tame_arms.gif

Doesn't that look like the ascii art that I made above? C'mon, be fair now...:-)

Cheers

James

I've been using Joe's idea for several years now, and not just for beach entry dives. The way the arms and housing form a rigid triangle makes this much more secure for carrying the housing and passing it from boats, etc.

The only changes I've made (recently) are:

(1) omitting the top fastex clips to hold the two arms together at the top. I've mounted a couple of suicide clips on about 3" loops of braidline near the beginning of both second arm sections. These clip off to the chest d-rings on my harness if I need to have both hands free, and I can clip them together for carrying or handling the housing.

(2) Attaching the two remaining fastex clips with thin braidline rather than plastic ties, which will eventually break.

Frogfish (Robert Delfs)

Sponsors

Advertisements