kcf955

Guadalupe White Shark Trip

A 7 day trip to visit the White sharks at Isle Guadalupe, link to the slide show is below.

Note: Once the images load and you start to hear the music, just hit the play button on the lower right of your screen in the control menu. Total length is 10min but you can also manually go through the slides. I would appreciate feedback on how the slideshow feature works. This is the first time I have used it. Thanks!

Flash slide show

Hi Keith -

Great slideshow! Played well on my MAC.. photos are really cool especially the sharks with their mouths agape going after the bait.

We are headed there next year.. any suggestions on lighting or lens choices?

M.

We are headed there next year..  any suggestions on lighting or lens choices?

Thanks M.,

Here are the settings that I used the most:

SETTINGS - I metered the water close to the surface and shot in Manual Mode

160th/sec - This was ok for most shots but there are a few that I wish I had bumped up 250th for some of the more agressive action.

Aperature - mostly f5.6 - I did not want to emphasize the weakness of shooting a wide zoom at max aperature with a 1DsII

ISO - mostly at 200 but early morning or late afternoon I bumped up to as much as 800.

LENS - a 17-40 f4 L - mostly in the 28-40 range. The sharks on our trip were relatively melow and were more often 10-30 feet away rather than rubbing up against the cage.

LIGHTING - 1 Inon 220 set from -2 to -4. I was overly paranoid of blowing out the highlights as the sharks closed in. As can be seen from most of my mid to far away distance shots, there is very little fill.

During the first 3 days we were at the island, the shark action was slow compared to "normal" and picked up to "normal" activity during the last two days. I had been expecting that most people would have been burned out by the 4 or 5th day and I would have gotten all my must have shots in prior to the last couple of days. However, that was not the case. I am planning on going back some time in the future to try and improve on my results.

I can not say enough about the boat we were on and the cages we used. There was always plenty of manuvering room in the cages and you could always get your camera through the openings to get shots as needed. The boat was roomy and the Searcher/Great White Adventures staff were very attentive throughout the trip. I would definately go with them again.

Keith

Very nice shots. How much time do you get to spend in the "3rd" cage?

Thanks. I was in the cage twice and saw no sharks...I got to go back....

The slideshow works perfectly! You've done a very good job, I like the music on here. And you have really amazing pictures from the white sharks, I enjoyed them a lot!

Sponsors

Advertisements