FLAFROG

Rick Frehsee

I heard at the DEMA show that underwater photographer Rick Frehsee had passed away,does anyone have any additional information.

Thanks

I heard at the DEMA show that underwater photographer Rick Frehsee had passed away,does anyone have any additional information.

Thanks

Bernie - Here is something I posted to the ASMP-UW group:

Rick died on or around August 31st from a heart attack. He was 63 years old, fit and creative to the very end, and way too young to go.

I'm sure almost everyone on this list either knows Rick, or knows his work. He was the guy whose wide angle work inspired me from the very start. He was already publishing brilliant images of attractive models in the marine environment when I was just beginning to rent Nikonos cameras in Key Largo back in the late 70s. We were both on the road for the same magazines for a lot of years; first the original Sport Diver, then the old Ocean Realm, and then Skin Diver (for 17 years for me ... longer than that for Rick, probably at least 20 years).

He also had a terrific sense of graphic design, and

published beautiful brochures and posters for many different clients. His early

work for Anthony's Key Resort still stands out in my memory, even now.

We kind of went different directions after Skin Diver folded and Rick continued to do a lot of work for a variety of clients in Latin America. He was fluent in Spanish and loved the culture. He was quite a historian as well, so while we know his images, I doubt any of us really understand the depth of his commitment to the region and his friends in the business there.

I don't mean this as a eulogy, for others will do this more eloquently

than I. But as this is an underwater photography forum, we should all mourn

the passing of one of our most creative and inspiring shooters. He was one

of the best friends the dive industry ever had, and he will be sincerely missed.

I was shocked to hear confirmation of Rick's death. He was above all a gentleman.

Stephen,

Thanks for sharing the information. Those who've been around long enough to know the influence Rick had in the UW imaging world will certainly miss him.

I can recall attending Our World underwater beginning in the 1970s to hear Rick talk and see his beautiful images. Always very much the gentleman and his amazing photography has certainly been one of the benchmarks. He was always one of our "must see" presenters....

Very sad.......

David Haas

I first met Rick while he was running a Nikonos Shootout at Anthony's Key on Roatan in the mid 80's. I spent hours watching him shoot over/under shots in the key and he taught me how to field strip and clean flooded Nikonos Cameras. He is and was a great photographer and a true professional.

Doug

May his work inspire other as it as inspired me. only met the guy once and I still remember the moment, true human being are such.

Rest my fellow man.

I am really surprised that there is not a flood of replies to this information. It must be the difficulty this web site creates for a person to join and make a post.

Rick was one of my college instructors while at Miami-Dade Community College in 1978-79. He was a great instructor. I have a certificate of graduation from his Underwater School of Photography. He took a class to Key Largo for dive in the underwater park. I will never forget him.

Farewell Rick! And to confirm, I found this on Sport Diver magazine web site:

Remembering Rick

by Tom Morrisey

… with fondness

When all is said and done, scuba diving is a process for creating memories. For a few rare and talented individuals, it has also been a vehicle for sharing memories—in photos, or in words. And when it came to doing that, Rick Frehsee was a true and accomplished master of the art.

In a vibrant career that was spread across four decades, he both whetted our appetites and provided the proof that many of the best parts of the planet are in that vast majority that is covered by water. Through Rick's own images and the memories of Kathy, his wife, it's our privilege to share with you here a tiny portal to his world. We invite you to share the awe we knew every time we had the honor of working with him.

Thanks, Rick. It's been a great dive.

Sorry to say that i have been away for far too long, as i just learned of Rick Frehsee death. He was my photography teacher at MDCC Marine Facility by the River in the 70's. Many many fond memories of that place, it was my second home. I remember he would tell me that i "got lucky" on that shot or that other shot ... LOL. I want to return to those days. I also want to mention that another common friend of the times and place passed away at the early age of 66, Rick Smith, ... many achievements for Rick. Also, James McWhoter passed, MDCC Oceanography professor ... absolutely great guy!

Edited by HenryDelforn

With great sadness and tears, I've leaned of Ricks passing. Absolutely, he was tender, kind, and talented. My path crossed with Ricks in college ...studying u/w photography in the Marine Sciences program. His generosity contributed greatly to my subsequent successes. My gosh this is a shock. It leaves a great big empty spot in the universe.

Larry Kaplan

Sponsors

Advertisements