Sign in to follow this  
deep3dude

lense for full sensor

I bought a sigma 15mm FE for my 10D and it works great on the cropped sensor.

Perhaps a stupid question but how will it appear on a full senor 5D underwater in a large dome? Will the wide angle effect now make this too distorted?

No. It will be excellent (as long as the dome is a fisheye dome).

In fact my biggest criticism of the 10D would be it doesn't have a 180 degree fisheye. The 5D is solving exactly this problem.

You will have to get closer - but when you do the pictures will be stunning. ;)

Alex

p.s. You may also want to buy a less wide lens (e.g. 16-35mm or 17-40mm) to replace the angle of view that you were used to with the 15mm on the 10D.

Thanks Alex. I have the Ikelite dome for the 15mm fish eye. I also ordered the 8 inch dome but strangely I just noticed it is not recommended for the 15mm.

I already have the 17-40 mm so I should be good to go in that range.

My only concern was the 180 degrees of coverage on the 5D might be too much. Looks like I should have some funsoon.

I don't know about the Ike ports. But once you get used to 180 degrees there is no going back.

I use a 180 degrees lens for about 95% of my wide angle shots.

Alex

You are going to have to be carefull when choosing ports for WA lenses on the 5D. Ike changed the port chart to reflect crop factor dSLR's, they must not be selling any film housings because they deleated the film camera port chart. Notice if you are at the film SLR housing page and click port chart, it takes you to "dSLR Case Interchangeable Ports for DIGITAL CAMERAS"

The port that you were probably using on the 10D for the 15FE (#5503) will not work with the 15FE on the 5D. You need #5503.15.(the port recomended for this lens in pre-crop-factor days)

From Ike's website. refering to the 8 inch dome.

Except for the Sigma 15mm FE, small wide angle lenses in the 10mm to 15mm range can not operate with this placement.

But since Ike's port recomendations are only taking in consideration digital cropfactor cameras there is no way to know if it will actually work. There may be vignetting on the 5D. This one you will have to find out by trial and error.

Thanks Alex. I have the Ikelite dome for the 15mm fish eye. I also ordered the 8 inch dome but strangely I just noticed it is not recommended for the 15mm.

I already have the 17-40 mm so I should be good to go in that range.

My only concern was the 180 degrees of coverage on the 5D might be too much. Looks like I should have some funsoon.

The issue with Ike ports is that their system does not use extension rings. The 8 inch dome is spaced to worked with different lenses, 10-22(?).

Congrats on the 5D. Looking forward to your pics.

Ikelite has sold complete ports for about the same price of most "extension rings" from other other manufacturers. We didn't want to make any money folks, we just love to sell housings and ports. The new "bigga doma" will utilize different length mounting stalks, and possibly interchange with Aquatica housing ports.............

Haha, "Bigga doma." Have you been talking to Chris Bangs or something Ike? He taught us a bunch of "japanish" type stuff like that when we were there...

Cheers

James

Thanks William I incorrectly assumed the chart was for the old films days as well. Thinking about it it was a bad assumption.

I think you should be fine with the 5503.15. For a fisheye the "issues" with a smaller dome don't apply. From all reports I've heard about full frame fisheyes like the 10.5mm on a cropped sensor edge sharpness is not an issue. I think the Sigma on FF will be similar to the 10.5 on a DX sensor.

Other users have reported success using the 8" dome with the Sigma 15mm on a cropped sensor. But I suspect that it will vigenette badly on a FF. If you must have an 8" dome I think you'll have to wait to see what Ike cooks up for the 10.5mm. I bet the same configuration would work for the 15mm.

I don't think you "must" have an 8" dome though. I think the 6" works just fine. The 8" could help with over/under shots although I've made a few with a 6" dome It's not impossible.

I'm waiting to see what Ike does with the 8" dome before I house my 10.5. Then I'll decide weather to get the 5503.15 or the 8". I seriously don't need another lens to use for this upcomming trip. As it is I've got 1 lens/day--this SLR system has gotten a bit out of hand. But perhaps I should have gone with the 5503.15 all along instead of the 5503 for the 15mm? Then I would be all set for both lenses--although I might be more subject to flare without the shade? Is it possible to put the shade from another port on the 5503.15 when you are using the 15mm and off when you are using the 10.5mm?

Thoughts?

Aquatica has been producing the 8" dome port that has become the industry standard for 25 years now. It is used by many manufacturers both in still film and digital as well as video and film including Imax. This port has been used as well as copied by others like Ikelite has.

The Aquatica 8" dome was designed to be used by full 180 degree film lenses like the 16 mm Nikkor. It is as good as it gets. In Aquatica housings at least, there are no port extension requirements for use with such a lens and the sharpness on the edges using this port is supperb.

The 8" dome port is the only wide angle port that is on offer by Aquarica as it is the best.

The results using the 8" dome and ultra wide (weitwinkel) DX such as the Nikon DX 10.5 and the Canon 10mm in the now digital age, is the same as with film. Both Digital and film work the same with this port.

There is no vigenetting with the 15 althoug a port extension is necessary to use with this lens.

I would always prefere to use the widest diameter dome possible for better results and would avoid the 6" port if given the choice. In fact Aquatica had a 6" port years ago yet faded it out quickly as it was never as succesful as the 8" as this is was just a superior port. If given the choice, take one port for all your wide angle needs- the 8".

You should not have to wait for a dome to be created for the 10.5 or 16mm 180 degree lenses as these are some of the most important tools of the trade. I would think that this is a port that should have been a priority to every serious manufacturer and at the forefront of their design effort.

Unless you are prepared to switch to Aluminum you must insist that Ikelite produce this dome and soon, to satisfy your utra wide requirements. It is only fair that if a manufacturer is to copy a first class design from another that it should function in the same maner (or better) than it was originally designed to perform by its original creater. N'est pa?

Mauricio Handler

Aquatica recommends using the 8" dome for the 15mm without an extension and a ring of about 1" long for the 10-22mm. If Ike has space the 8" dome for for the 10-22mm then I think he will have to make a different one for the 15mm.

It seems to make sense that the wider the better but I guess it depends on where the lense sits in the housing. Ikelite indicates on its web page that they will be making something sort of mounting system to place the dome closer to the lense.

Hopefully I will be able to make use of the full angle of this fish eye.

if a manufacturer is to copy a first class design from another that it should function in the same maner (or better) than it was originally designed to perform by its original creater. N'est pa?

The Ike port is not a copy but an OEM version of the Aquatica port with an Ike adapter. On the Ikelite website the port is listed as an Aquatica dome port not an Ike copy. I think this is a collaboration that benifits both manufacturers as well as consumers.

BTW for a while Aquatica was talking about offering an 8" dome for Ikelite as well. The last I heard this port was designed specifically for the 10.5mm and 15mm lenses (but did not work with the WA zooms 12-24mm etc.). Is this still in production? Do they offer the necessary extension tubes to work with the zooms now? Perhaps this is the best route?

Hopefully I will be able to make use of the full angle of this fish eye.

Well there's the challenge! I think everyone would say it is a hard lens to get used to, but persevere because once you have you won't want to use anything else.

Alex

This is indeed an interesting topic.

Ikelite originally asked Aquatica if they would mind Ikelite using the Aquatica port with an Ike adaptor as a new product offering by Ikelite. Aquatica was of course happy to see their ports used by such a well respected manufacturer. They would of course also benefit from this as Ike would buy all the ports from Aquatica and retrofit them to their needs........well thats when the fairytale ended as they purchesed some old ports from a third hand supplier and then went on to make their own. So, Aquatica has not really benefited from this agreement.

Before this all started, Aquatica indeed was contemplating the production of an adaptor for Ikes housing using Aquatica ports, but respectfully withddrew the whole production when Ike went ahead with this arrangement.

The Aquatica port has its limitations with Ikes housings as the housing cannot take full advantage of the ports wide angle coverage. This is not an Aquatica product defect it is just a lack of full compatibility between the two products. Aquatica Dome ports continue to be one of the best in the business and you can use every wide angle lens up to 180 degree coverage without any problems and with one 8" dome port for all, not one for each lens....this is of course if used on an Aquatica housing.

"I think this is a collaboration that benifits both manufacturers as well as consumers"

I think this is not really the case here as Aqauatica is not supplying ports and its well thought off dome ports cannot be used in Ikelite hosuings as ideally intended and to the full products potential

MH

<snip>    I think this is not really the case here as Aqauatica is not supplying ports and its well thought off dome ports cannot be used in Ikelite hosuings as ideally intended and to the  full products potential

MH

!!!! <sits back in chair with wide eyes>

All the best, James

Thanks for the explanation. After a flurry of announcements I hadn't heard anything on this issue for a while and now I know why. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out as planned. It would have been nice to see a constructive collaboration if the engineering details could have been worked out. I noticed today while reading the DEMA report that Ike is developing their own dome.

I'm eager to see how it works and how its priced.

Aquatica Dome ports continue to be one of the best in the business and you can use every wide angle lens up to 180 degree coverage without any problems and with one 8" dome port for all, not one for each lens....this is of course if used on an Aquatica housing.

Good point. My hope is that Ike's solution will allow both the 12-24mm and the fisheyes 10.5 and 15mm to all use the same port. Its worth noting however that in order to use multiple lenses with the Aquatica dome you need very expensive extension rings that typically cost more than whole ikelite ports (which include the extension). Perhaps in the future we can have the best of both worlds?

Anyone who went to DEMA care to fill in the details?

Good point.  My hope is that Ike's solution will allow both the 12-24mm and the fisheyes 10.5 and 15mm to all use the same port. Its worth noting however that in order to use multiple lenses with the Aquatica dome you need very expensive extension rings that typically cost more than whole ikelite ports (which include the extension).  Perhaps in the future we can have the best of both worlds?

I've not added up the cost of the two and vaguely remember the cost of a ring is around $150. There's also the cost of the focus and/or zoom rings. The advantage of the extension is flexibility. One ring is used for multiple lens combinations. I have one dome port, one macro port and 2 extensions rings that I've used for:

Sigma 15mm

Canon 10-22mm

Sigma 50mm

Sigma 105mm

Sigma 105mm + 1.4x teleconverter

Canon 100mm

Canon 100mm + 1.4x teleconverter

Canon 100mm + 2x teleconverter

Canon 100mm + Canon 500 diopter(+2)

Canon 100mm + +4 diopter

and in the future I'll probably experiment with other combinations of teleconverter and diopter. Having that flexibility is really nice. I don't know how many Ike ports I would have to own and travel with to give me the same flexibility.

Whoa Mauricio! Interesting question is what could possibly have triggered such a derogatory diatribe of erroneous drivel? Like you went berserk.

The “copied†accusation is totally wrong. Every manufacturer utilized compass domes 35 years ago when you were learning to ride a bicycle. Ikelite was the first to invest in special tooling to mold a dome specifically for underwater photography, and it remains one of the finest optics available today.

My understanding was Aquatica was NOT really interested in selling us domes. Having a mold made to produce a dome is not rocket science, it just costs money. We did utilize the same mold maker and molder as Aquatica which was an arrangement made long before present Aquatica ownership. Seemed logical to utilize suppliers that knew exactly what we wanted, but they have not performed up to expectations yet. Will know more next week.

I tease in these forums about things like “clear†aluminum housings, but try not to embarrass or condemn. I believe it is reasonable to request the same from other people who post............

My note to Ikelite on the issue.

I plan to buy a 5D housing once it becomes available. I also hope to use my 15mm Sigma FE lense which has 180 degrees of coverage with the full size censor 5D.

Can you confirm that your 8 inch dome will work with the 15mm FE on the 5D without restriction?

There response.

Yes it will work also can use our #5503.

Regards

Tom

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements