Sign in to follow this  
karant

Buying new Digital SLR

I am thinking about upgrading my camera system. I currently use the Olympus C5050Z with PT-015 housing, and double Sea & Sea YS90AUTO strobes. The big delimma...what to upgrade to.... I have looked at Nikon and Canon for digital SLR. Does Olympus have a similar camera in this class. I am on somewhat of a budget, but willing to pay the price for the results. I usually do 2-4 dives a week in cold water with about 30-40 warm water dives on vacations. In other words, I dive ALOT and take ALOT of photos.

I LOVE my current Olympus setup, and will definitely hold on to the system for a backup. I guess that is another reason to upgrade. I have flooded, once, operator error, ugh, but insured, whew! I know the C5050 is out of date, so would like to have a newer more updated system.

Thanks

Kathryn

I recently upgraded my underwater shooting. I already had a Canon 10D which I bought a Ikelite housing for and 2 DS125 strobes. I wanted 2 strobes because I shoot in 48F water and the natural lighting can be a challenge.

Despite having some lenses already I decoded to buy 3 lenses which were better thought of for underwater shooting. I bought the Sigma 15mm FE for wide angle on my cropped Canon sensor. I chose the Canon 50mm macro and the Canon 100mm macro for macro work. If your water is clear enough the 100mm might be enough but off the coast of BC the water can be more challenging and require a closer lense.

If you have never shot SLR before you will have to get used to the great DOF control it affords. Not rocket science but I would suggest you do this before adding the water to the equation to avoid frustration.

Try one of this sites sponsors digideep.com for Olympus housings as it seems to have a very extensive listing.

Sorry I can't help on Oylmpus DSLRs, but if you can't find anything it may well be worth having a look on the Classified forum for what DSLRs people are selling with housings and lenses. There is quite a turn over and you may be able to pickup an excellent DSLR system - NIkon or Canon - for an amazing price.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements