herbko

14mm on FF ?

The fake 9mm thread got me thinking about 14mm on FF sensors. I can't recall seeing any recent pics from one. How good are the Nikor, Canon, Sigma 14mm's? Anybody have samples?

Hi Herb,

Eric and I both had the Sigma 14mm f2.8 lens. He used his on the D60 and I used mine on the S2pro.

This lens, and the 15mm fisheyes were the only game in town for wideangle shooting on digital back then.

I purchased mine so that I would have a wide rectilinear lens for both topside and underwater use. The Sigma was reasonably sharp (cropped) and didn't have too much CA. But it was really prone to flare.

In fact, there were many threads about this now that you mention it. I made an extended (for cropped cameras) cardboard lens hood that helped a bit.

I ended up flooding mine, and taking my DAN check and buying the Nikkor 12-24 which just became available at the time.

I don't personally know anyone here on Wetpixel that uses the 14mm offerings by Nikon and Sigma, but I know they're here. :-)

Cheers

James

I have the 14 mm Sigma and have used it with both my F5 film system (which would quality as full frame ;-) ) and the S2. I was very pleased with the results on doth cameras. Now that I have the 12-24, the 14 mm is dedicated to the F5 only.

Some 14mm can be a bit chunky for some housings. The 18mm was more popular in my FF (Velvia) days!

Alex

Here's an example: (from my first shark trip ever!)

Sigma 14/2.8, Canon D60. It's a sharp image, but I haven't tried since going FF:

20020715_170736_1_std.jpg

I don't personally know anyone here on Wetpixel that uses the 14mm offerings by Nikon and Sigma, but I know they're here. :-)

James,

I’m surprised you didn’t remember we both bought the Sigma 14 mm from the same company and got a reduced price because we bought two..

I don’t shoot FF but I still use this Lens with my D2X and love it.

Marc

Marc,

I didn't remember if it was that lens, or the 15-30 that we bought together.

Well - I don't have either lens anymore, so that says something...

Cheers

James

I've put lots of use on the Nikkor 14mm. When I got it, it was the only way to have a rectilinear "21mm". I had felt crippled without a real wide angle.

As far as FF performance, I've used it for (gasp) film. The only lens I could reasonabally compare it to was the 15mm f3.5; the 14mm was lighter, and much less prone to flare. Actually pretty sharp, too.

Come to think, except for way more flare, it's just a wider version of my film mainstay, the 20mm f2.8 .

Mind you, this is all film results.

All the best, James

I use the Nikon 14mm with film.

From my personal experience:

- you need a big dome, with the correct extension rings, otherwise edge sharpness really falls off

- performance (again edge sharpness) falls off rapidly when wider than F8

- It's a great lens especially on land

- It's not a lens for all occasions underwater, I still prefer a full frame fisheye

- I think it will come into it's own when used as a 21mm with a DX sensor (all be it a very expensive 21mm lens!)

The Canon EF 14mm is an L series lens so I would hope that the glass is good enough to put infront of Canon's full frame sensors

Heres an example on a shot with a 14mm:

http://www.millionfish.com/stories/dances/pages/page10.htm

Steve

Sponsors

Advertisements