Sign in to follow this  
wetpixel

24 1800mAH AA batteries for $29.99

Anandtech forum link

This is a great deal, esp. for those of you who use digicams that take AAs, or YS-90 strobes. ;)

I just ordered some, and got a 5% discount code for the next time I order. MAybe someone here can take advantage of it:

"Thank you for your order. Here is a 5% discount code for your next time order: bydusa9981 Sincerely BYDusa.com Staff ------www.BYDusa.com"

Also, for those of you interested in reading about the different rechargeable batteries out there (and how a bad charger will only charge up your batteries to 50% of capacity), read this article.

Thanks Eric. I just put in my order. Used you discount code and they gave me the same code to use for future purchases.

Super article! Must read for anyone contemplating purchasing a charger and batteries. I'm using the recommended charger. Along with a few of their 1600 and 1700 batteries, I'm mostly using Sunpack 1600's. This article lends some insight as to why I'm not getting two full dives out of a set of batteries as some attest to. I bought the Sunpacks before I thoroughly researched batteries and chargers.

I just purchased a dozen Ansmann 2000 AA's and Ansmann charger which I'll use with my Eye Sea Underwater Navigation system. I'd be curious to see how these Ansmann products stack up. Ansmann Link

My understanding from a Sea abd Sea rep that the reason NiMH batteries are not recommended for the 90dx is due to the heat they generate. apparently it can melt circuits. Thus, why the manual on them recommends not using them.

I believe there was a thread on this in the past. I do know some do use them none the less.

Great prices!! Thanks for the heads heads up Eric.

My understanding from a Sea abd Sea rep that the reason NiMH batteries are not recommended for the 90dx is due to the heat they generate. apparently it can melt circuits. Thus, why the manual on them recommends not using them.

I had heard that it was because of explosion risk, and not heat. although, they do get really hot. ;)

actually, I've never seen someone NOT use NiMH batteries in a 90DX. :)

I think you may not have seen but, it did take place on our trip as I was going to use NiMH but our mutual friend recommended that I not put them in the 90dx's.

Maybe I should see if he has more information of testing to support or negate.

ps I was planning on using them in Roatan, but don't tell him.

It strikes me as odd that such a recommendation exists and I'm tempted to claim that a device that overheats a NiMH AA cell (ignoring over-discharge) shouldn't use any AA at all.

NiMH cells commonly are rated for a 3C discharge. Considering their high capacities, they should be able to handle any load that an alkaline battery will work with and, in reality, any NiCd AA will. Explosion risk comes when the cell overheats, over-discharges and releases hydrogen. Such as case may happen when the device floods. I had a PCa light explode with 6 NiMH cells in it. Made a funny noise and blew the end off. Not really dangerous as far as I could tell, and I assumed the light flooded since it had not be on during the dive.

Everyone I know uses NiMH cells in their strobes and there always seems to be a strobe flood (since they all use Ikelite strobes). Not once has there been an explosion except for my PCa.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements