mandarinfish

Lembeh/Wakatobi Galleries and Slideshows

YALG... Yet Another Lembeh Gallery ;)

If you aren't too tired of seeing such stuff, I've just gotten my galleries and slideshows done from a month long trip to Wakatobi and Lembeh last month.

There's a short combination gallery and two separate large galleries for the two locations. The short gallery is similar to the content in the slideshows. But if you have broadband, I would suggest taking a look at the multimedia slideshows; it's a different experience with music. I've done a PC EXE slideshow with captions and a Mac QT slideshow without captions. Would be interested in feedback as to whether it's useful or unnecessary to have captions in the shows. The images are both from film and digital (D2X), about half and half.

Here's the page with links to the galleries and slideshows:

Indonesia Galleries and Slideshows

Very nice gallery Linda.

It looks like you saw a huge number of critters. Very nice work.

Lembeh galleries are common at Wetpixel but the quality of the images shown on yours is extraordinary. Hope you aren't mad at me for teasing you about the CN thing. Congratulations, wonderful stuff. Looks like you'll be kicking everyone's butt in the photo comps this year. ;)

Thanks, guys, I appreciate your comments...

Larry, we'll see about the photo comps; I've been terrible about sending things in this year. Too busy! And I knew you were just teasing. I took the opportunity to say something for the benefit of some others, not you at all..

Todd, we did see alot of stuff. Actually, Wakatobi was rather quiet, especially in comparison to my last trip there. But Lembeh more than made up for it! I was a little overwhelmed by all the stuff that was new to me, and had to try hard to keep from going into snapshot mode, unsuccessfully sometimes..

Beautiful shots Linda, especially the mandarinfish.

How did you get such a bright background on those shots? I thought they only mate at sunset.

Herb,

With the mandarin fish, they come up about 1-2 feet off the bottom at dusk. All around the mating fish is jutting coral. Your strobe simply lights up the surrounding coral. When I shot them I was hoping for that black background but to no avail. Here is my mandarin shot. Same thing as Linda.

Joe

post-1513-1131896180_thumb.jpg

Hi Linda,

Very impressive gallery. I'll be at Wakatobi starting Dec 2, I can only hope to see as many critters as you had in your portfolio. What are the wide angle subjects like there, is there any reason to shoot something other than macro?

Doug

How did you get such a bright background on those shots? I thought they only mate at sunset.

Thanks, Herb. Joe's right about it just being strobe light. And to make things tougher, exposure-wise, they like to live in coral rubble too, so alot of the time you're dealing with a dark fish against a very light background. When I go back, I'll try to choose better positioning, but you never know if the fish will cooperate. :) I'm convinced they just like to aggravate photographers...

Very impressive gallery. I'll be at Wakatobi starting Dec 2, I can only hope to see as many critters as you had in your portfolio. What are the wide angle subjects like there, is there any reason to shoot something other than macro?

Doug

Thanks, Doug. There are alot of wide angle opportunities at Wakatobi, though I only did a couple of wide angle dives (it's hard to get me away from macro). I wish I had done more. The reefs are very lush. But be sure to talk with the guides about what to expect on each dive. The sites vary as to light conditions, and the outer sites such as Pastell's or Lorenzo's tend to be shaded in the morning, and they don't do those outer sites in the afternoon much. Other areas (Roma, Fan 38 east and west, etc.), can have a little better light in the morning. There are lots of turtles on the house reef. This is not the area for big stuff, but at Conchita, we saw a couple different kinds of sharks and some mobula rays, and we've seen a mola at Blade. Anyway, there is wide angle there; it all depends on what you like to shoot.

Loads of great images there, Linda. That Rhinopias is a very pretty fish.

Thanks, Alex. Yes, he was a very beautiful fish. I wish I could have done him better justice. He was only the third one I've ever seen. First one was black, in PNG, and difficult to shoot. Second was purple, in Thailand. Maybe next time I won't be so excited, and will do better about "capturing" him.

Linda

Sponsors

Advertisements