Photobeat

Ikelite Housings Vs the rest

I have been reasearching a lot of housing and as far as does it matter what you get, I want to know why you like or don't like a housing. Details matter. It seems as it is a comfort thing and not a quality thing. That's good I can expect an Ikelite not to flood and fall apart but will I miss pictures or take to long on adjusting something vs another housing. The aquatica is not all that much more. There is no where I can go to look and touch all the housing so opinons matter especially those who have handled a few different housings.

By the way - Cathy Church is no longer reccomending the Sea and Sea housings due to cracking at the spot where the clips or fastners close the housings. Didn't specify a model but might want to check with Sea and Sea before a big purchase to see if the resolved that.

I am curious to know why the distinction is just plastic vs metal. In the middle are carbon fiber housings. I would be interested in hearing from folks who use carbon fiber housings.

Allen

What about Hugyfot delrin housings?

From a mechanical point of view I just love Delrin ( acetal - Delrin is a DuPont trade name ).

It is amazingly tolerant of abuse other than at low temperature when I have found it can be brittle.

Paul C

For virtually every housing type there will be an afficianado! Choice is after all a good thing or the world would be a pretty boring place. As to whether one is better than the other, well to some people certain things matter, to others they simply don't. I wouldn't part with my Seacam S45 viewfinder for the simple reason that I find it to be the most effective tool that I have every used for critical composition. I have friends who operate using small viewfinders with no trouble but for me the S45 is essential. The downside is that the S45 is expensive, so I have to pay for the privilege of using it. But to get back to the topic, providing a housing is watertight, allows sufficient controls to be accessed and has decent optics, then its viability for a user is a personal choice which has to be based on factors which may beyond these 'basic' requirements.

As I think I have said before, I've seen some superb photos taken with Ikelite housings.

Whether you buy one is a personal choice based on financial considerations as well as any other factors you think important.

Sponsors

Advertisements