LERF

Sony HDR-HC1 with Ikelite housing

AELung, are you zooming with the UWL100? The lens should only be used at its wide angle setting.

Hi Lars

I don't have the 100UWL. The Inon 165 macro has a bayonet type thread for my S50 camera, not the video. The only lens I have for the video is an Epoque wide angle0.56x, but it vignettes.

Hi Lars

I don't have the 100UWL. The  Inon 165 macro has a bayonet type thread for my S50 camera, not the video. The only lens I have for the video is an Epoque wide angle0.56x, but it vignettes.

What do you find more useful? I know Canon made a macro diopter for the S series but I've not tried one. The macro lenses I've had always came in useful. I'm debating whether to get the macro or something like the Inon 100 or Epoque 67mm thread lens.

The wide should allow close up too with it's big DOF but it's pretty heavy underwater. Real macro might be better. Maybe I should search...

How was your search Lars? Has anyone got any recommendations as to macro options available (for HC1/Ikelite)??

Here is a nice comparison of Inon and Epoque I found on Marinecamera's website.

I imagine you have to be very close to the subject with the Epoque and focusing will be difficult. I guess that's the trade off for a powerful lens.

post-2547-1136983251_thumb.jpg

That's a great comparison. I did a similar thing with some above water macro rings I have.

http://67.122.16.97/lars/hc1/BowerMacroFullWide.JPG

http://67.122.16.97/lars/hc1/BowerMacroFullZoom.JPG

http://67.122.16.97/lars/hc1/BowerMacroPartialZoom.JPG

http://67.122.16.97/lars/hc1/TeleMacroZoom.JPG

I decided that too strong of a macro ring gives you severe edge distortion. The Inon 165 looks pretty good and it's about a $100 as I recall. Expensive for a diopter but cheaper than a $329 WA. My guess is that it's a +4 to +6 but it's so hard to say. People seem to recommend a +4. I used one on a still camera some years back and it cut the focal distance 1/4. Tiffen sells 67mm diopters cheap. I can't recall the retailer site at the moment but it was sets of 3 in +2 +4 +6or7.

I'm actually in Orlando FL this week on business but snuck off to Epcot for the DiveQuest thingy with some friends. They took video of us and had a really wide angle (inside their housing) I swam right past the camera guy at 2ft and almost my whole body is in the shot.

Some friends shot video from behind the glass on the dry side too. I'm going to rip the UW DVD they soak you for and remix it with the dry stuff back to DVD and give a short presentation to our dive club on diving in a fish tank. It's a really different type of dive. Anyway, It's got me thinking again about how usefull a WA can be especially when the vis is 200 ft.

I have the DML-2 from Epoque and wouldn't dream of using it on the video camera.

I have used Inon's UCL-165 M67 Lens, and 2 of them stacked, and had lots of good resullts. With Ikelite's flat port, the single macro lens and Telemacro mode frames the face of a shark nose goby full frame, and the 2 together was framing things like eyeballs. I was blown away, but couldn't come close to keeping the shot steady.

I guess I'll have to sacrifice a nice ball head and an expensive macro focusing rail to the saltwater gods to get those shots...

I have the DML-2 from Epoque and wouldn't dream of using it on the video camera.

Can I ask why ? Seems like a pretty powerful lens and if photographer's use it why wouldn't it be good for video ?

Ron

Sorry, I missed that.

I think it will be too strong to use with any success. I'll try it though, in due time. Our shore dive here is totally blown out, so it will be a few days...

Ryan

Sorry, I missed that.

I think it will be too strong to use with any success.  I'll try it though, in due time.  Our shore dive here is totally blown out, so it will be a few days...

Ryan

Let me know how it works for you. I have one and find it very difficult to use. The depth of field is very limited and I have to be within 2-3 inches of the subject.

I'm a newbie at macro work, so I'm not sure if it's just me or the lens is indeed difficult to use for video.

The lens is part of my Gates Multiport package. I originally thought it was an Inon lens, but found out the macro lens is Epoque and the W/A is Inon.

Super macro on video is a PITA!!!! so much harder than still cuz need to keep things steady

Would be nice if ol Camdiver would chime in one of these days, he is excellent at super macro work

Super macro on video is a PITA!!!!  so much harder than still cuz need to keep things steady

Would be nice if ol Camdiver would chime in one of these days, he is excellent at super macro work

Thanks. Now I feel a little better about my failures with the lens. I don't think I've seen Camdivers work. I've seen incredible macro work by Kris Wilk and Ray Izumi.

In addition to keeping things still, I need to get my eyes tuned to find the small stuff. I don't think I've ever seen a nudibranch.

Ok here's what I've done in the interim. It's an inexpensive solution to get my feet wet :P. I bought a set of 67mm Hoya multicoated diopter lenses from Adorama.com for $70. There is a +1 +2 & +4 in the set. From what I've heard here the +4 is a good all around closeup. I took the +1 and disassembled it removing the snap ring and glass. I then drilled a couple of small vent holes through the sides and used some Plumber's glue to attach it to the top of the housing. This ring is now a mount for the +4 when it's not in use. I'm hoping the housing doesn't compress at depth and pop it off. What do you think of the idea?

http://67.122.16.97/lars/hc1/Hoya67mmMacroSetup.jpg

Wish I could say I did this with the video camera but it was my Digital Elph. In So Cal you trip over Nudibranchs on every dive. They love cold water I guess.

IMG_6229.jpg

Hey Lars,

Have been following your progress and am wondering if you have gotten to white balance at depth yet? If so, is it what it is cut out to be, or overblown? I am still on the edge of trying to find the right housing!!!!

thanks

Jim

I haven't been back in the water as the waves and rain have made things poor. I'm going to try either next week or the week after. I'll try the HID light, White Bal at depth, and my new crazy macro setup. I don't consider the diving I did to be a full test. However I feel pretty confident about it's ability. I'll definately share some more video. I think I have 40gig of web space left til I need to add another drive to the server.

Hi Lars, did you get some new footage to see with your HC1? Very interested to see some demo :-) if possible, new one :-)

Thanks

ERIK

Thanks marcus.

There is a lot of distortion in the turtle video? What codec are you using or is that the lens in the housing causing it? I can see the vignetting but the softness around just outside the center of the picture is pretty bad. What WA lens does Ikelite send with that housing?

From his sig it looks like he's using the Epoque. Rather disappointing if it is. The distortion looks more like a really strong diopter though. The Ikelite doesn't come with any lenses; just a flat 67mm threaded glass port. Marcus, have you shot with just the flat port?

I'm going to try out my +4 close up diopter on the 25th so I'll have more video to post as well.

I like the video that comes straight out of the flat port. I'm in no hurry to buy a WA at this point. Something else to carrry and unbalance the housing.

Yes the turtle video was using an Ikelite external screw on red filter, with the Epoque screwed on top of that. I think this accentuates the vignetting since the WA lens is even further away. Without the external screw on filter and just the Epoque, the vignetting is not so bad but there is still some. Of course without the WA lens, there is no vignetting and the picture is much better.

We are changing the port to mount those wide angle lenses closer to the camera. This should correct the softness Lim reported. Email <video@ikelite.com> and we can forward a replacement port for your housing............

Hi Ike,

would it be possible for us to mount the new replacement port ourselves? Wouldn't it involve glueing ?

Ports simply unscrew and replacement screws on hand tight. "Simply" is misleading because you may need a strap wrench to break it loose because of "O" ring friction.

Hi Ike

Glenn emailed me asking me to send in the housing to change the port. However I have unscrewed the port myself. Could I screw a replacement port back myself if you sent it to me? Thanks.

Hi Ike!

I emailed Glen a few days ago, asking him to send me the shorter port. But after a few sleepless nights, I came to think about longer and wider port!

Since HD need high quality lens ( check this thread: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12059 ), it'd be a good idea to use the superb Sony VCL- HG073Y internal WA lens. This 0.7x WA lens is designed specially for the HC-1 and has aboslutely no distortation whatsoever. I use it on land all the time and don't even bother to take it off for close up shots. You can still go pretty close with this lens.

This lens is 73cm in diameter and 6cm long, so I guess the port will have to be longer and wider as well.

My Ikelite TRV-950 came with an 0.7x internal WA lens, so what do you think, Ike?

Sponsors

Advertisements