LERF

Sony HDR-HC1 with Ikelite housing

We are changing the port to mount those wide angle lenses closer to the camera.  This should correct the softness Lim reported.  Email <video@ikelite.com> and we can forward a replacement port for your housing............

Hi Ike,

Is this a free replacement? Is it ready now?

My friend has this very problem with his Inon w/a lens and will no-doubt contact you when he's back from his liveaboard trip.

Nick

We will fix him up. The Inon lens is designed to supplement wide angle use of the lens. It was not intended to operate through the zoom range. We have a .5x lens and port that is fine for these camera if anyone is interested.

ike@ikelite.com

Ike,

Do you have any more thoughts on the question of a port to accommodate the Sony VCL-HG073 lens? It would be nice to have just one lens to use both underwater and above water.

--Mark

I tired out my +4 diopter this weekend. Wow the DOF is small and with telemacro I need to skip the coffee to keep things steady. Here's a reduced frame grab. It doesn't work well for anything but closeups. I'll admit I wasn't concentrating on my focusing skills those dives.

The Light Canon works well too. The light is very white and it boots faster than I can get the rest of the settings ready. The Gates arm needs some mods so the jury is still out.

I shot the whole day without the supplied red filter. I have to say that I couldn't get the white balance right doing it off the sand. Too green, too blue... Sheesh, just put it in outdoor mode and go. I need some practice and/or tips there.

A short 1 minute HD video clip is on my website.

post-5379-1140995279_thumb.jpg

I've never had acceptable white balance off sand. Sand is slightly yellow, so the footage comes out a bit purplish (i.e. the complimentary of yellow). Personally I use white tape on my fins but you could use a white slate or try pointing at the sun.

Couldn't find your clip but the still looks rather monochrome. Is it artificially lit? Looks' like you'd benefit from the red filter if you're not using lights.

Nick

It's been two weeks since Ike said that he would check with "the knowledgeable types". I'm guessing that if it was not possible, we would have heard something by now. Ike, how about an update?

I am going to Bali in early April, and need to order my housing. It would sure be nice to order the correct one, and not have to deal with a port change the week before I leave.

--Mark

Local dealers do not have the Sony VCL-HG073Y model lens. We will try to order if that is something people want, but the following may be a better choice. The .5x Raynox lens is $100 and its special #9306.88 port is $100. Dome could be added for additional $75.

Almost nobody seems to have the VCL-HG0737Y. The VCL-HG0737X lens is much easier to find.

--Mark

Ike,

According to B&H photo/video, the Sony VCL HG0737X is 7mm longer than the Raynox HD-5005 PRO. The two lenses are the same diameter. Will the Sony fit? I have nothing against the Raynox lens; it is just that I can't find very much info about it with regard to image quality. All reports are very good for the Sony lens.

Another questions: what are the +/- of getting the dome that you allude to? I can't find anything on your web site about it.

Thanks,

--Mark

Hi Dr. Mark,

I have the Sony lens and use it all the time on land, it's great!

However it would't fit in the housing inserted the usual way, Ikelite would have to come up with a longer and larger diameter port. The lens would then have to be inserted from the front and then scew in the port, there's no way it could go through all the knobs and rods inside the housing , inserted the normal way from the back.

Perhaps Ikelite could come up with a quick latch port, sinilar to their SLR housing? It's been quite from their side for a while though........

Hi guys! Thought I'd share this with you guys since it's been quite here for a while.

Just got news from Ike that they're waiting for the Sony WA lens to arrive and the knowledgeables will see if they can come up with a port for it.

So bear with 'em for a while...

Meanwhile I got the new shorter port, will try it out next week in Sangalaki. Will keep you guys posted.

;)

Did you had the red filter in between the port and the WA lens and no vignetting?

How did you opened the port? I couldn't do it...:lol:

No I didn't use the screw-in red filter because it was only 3 metre depth.

It is a bit difficult to unscrew the port. I basically screwed in my red filter, then my wide angle lens hard. And then unscrew the whole assembly. Sometimes the port also unscrews. If not, I kept on trying. There are some small holes on the port which Ikelite said I could use small screwdriver to prise open, but I didn't have one long and thin enough to span the two holes...

Since there's still a slight vignettting without the screw-in red filter, there'll probably be more with it then.Perhaps Ikelite could come up with an even shorter port taking the red filter in consideration? I'm using the URPro filter, which is about 0.6cm in length after being screwed in.

Quote Painted Frogfish:

The new port for the Ikelite HDR-HC1 housing that Glenn from Ikelite sent me mostly fixed the vignetting problem with the original port. Now there is only very slight vignetting. Hooray!

I have been following for awhile. Have finally gotten the Ikelite HC! housing and HC1.

The housing and base have been in the sink and are bouyant. Add camers? still bouyant?.. I know "they" say not to put the camera in the case to transport it, but if put into case and carried in a backpak as carry on? I only have 2 weekend off to dive and set camera before trip in June... any and all help will be appreciated....Lars, did you ever get "white balancing" worked out?? Seems real complicated with all the buttons, but camera iwas bought. Thanks again

Jim

You should post your questions on the related threads, not really necessary to startoff new threads on the same subject. No offence...:lol:

Your rig should be negative with the cam in, check on latest comments, reviews and suggestions on this thread:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10724

Hope this helps.

Hi :)

i have a sony camcorder HDR-HC1 and a ikelite housing (#6039.01). Now, i want a port and a dome for my wideangel Raynox HD5050pro. On the Ikelite website i found this..

"Special ports are available for use with the Raynox HD-5050 Pro high definition wide-angle lens. Optional ports sold separately as dome port #9304 or flat lens port #9304.1."

Where can i buy this ports? I only found other ports..:

#9310 Video Port Assembly

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2667...t_Assembly.html

#9306.31 Video Dome Port

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3305..._Dome_Port.html

#9306.32 Video Flat Port

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3108..._Flat_Port.html

9306.88 Extension Port

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2571...nsion_Port.html

Pleases, can anybody help me.. :blush: ..wich one was the right one for the raynox wideangel...

Thanks a lot in advandce..

best wishes

diver8

Edited by Diver8

Hi :blush:

on the Ikelite website i found this..

"Special ports are available for use with the Raynox HD-5050 Pro high definition wide-angle lens. Optional ports sold separately as dome port #9304 or flat lens port #9304.1."

And now the port is avaible..:

#9304 Video Port Assembly

best wishes

diver8

230 bucks are very expensiv...

Edited by Diver8

Sponsors

Advertisements