Sign in to follow this  
justin-branam

What's the fastest shutter speed with Rebel XT and

Thanks lanierb, I'll have to check out the settings I've used recently and see if they are similar to that.

And Alex, pure genius :D

After reviewing many photos and their EXIF settings it DOES APPEAR that even when I set the camera at 1/250 or 1/320 in M mode, using Ikelite's eTTL2 the camera and strobe were smart enough to limit the shutter speed to the Canon Rebel XT's 1/200 max synch speed.

Only thing I can think of that made successive photos darker is pushing past the max strobe output for a particluar f-stop in essence underexposing the complete photo.

Example, if 1/200 at f 8 is still too bright for my taste, a combination of dialing in more negative flash comensation plus going to a smaller f-stop than the strobe can put out for my camera to subject distance, resulted in an underexposed but maybe more pleasing photo.

Will have to try MANUAL camera mode and MANUAL FLASH in FLA next week. After checking EXIF to see if this will allow a true 1/250 or 1/320 shutter speed with flash I'll report back.

Still won't likely be usable as Nikon D70 shutter speeds of 1/500, but all cameras have limitations. I still love the Canon CMOS color and smooth pics even at higher ISO.

dhaas

Will have to try MANUAL camera mode and MANUAL FLASH in FLA next week.

350D doesn't support manual flash from the camera's side. M does only mean shutter speed and aperture being set manually. If an E-TTL strobe is connected, the camera operates the strobe in E-TTL mode. Shutter speed is still bound to fastest sync speed (1/200).

I don't know the Ikelite converter. But I assume the unit is fully responsible for manual strobe control. I would guess the camera still thinks there is an E-TTL strobe connected but the Ikelite unit ignores camera’s strobe power signal and overrides it with the manual setting? Or does the unit cut down the conversion with the camera as if a manual strobe is connected with just two wires? If not (what I assume), max. 1/200 would still apply.

Julian

Ok, David, you have confirmed the XT works just like the 300D and the 10D.

If you set the eTTL conversion circuitry to manual, it will let you do faster exposures - but at 1/320 there will be a slight darking in the bottom of the frame.

William,

thanks for pointing this out. That means the Ikelite conversion unit is bypassed when set to manual power control and the camera doesn't know anymore that a strobe is attached?

Julian

No the camera still knows the flash is there. The camera for some reason assumes the attatched strobe is capible of high speed sync when the eTTL circuitry is set to manual.

The <lightning bold>H shows up in the viewfinder. And the camera records "flash fired" in the EXIF.

Fastsync.jpg

I agree with Bill that Ikelite's eTTL and eTTL2 systems KNOW there is still a strobe attached but makes no effort when switched to manual settings to limit a maximum shutter speed.

Being the lazy, give me the automated systems type of photographer I am (after spending WAY too many vacations trying to "override" what light meters, TTL strobe systems, etc. were designed to do) I will still likely use eTTL2 99% of the time.

I just aim down a few degress if blowing out surface highlights :D

YMMV

dhaas

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements