Sign in to follow this  
bacripe

Recommendations for Dive Operators in Hawaii??

I'm going to be in hawaii for 3 weeks this december/january, and am looking for recommendations for dive operations there. I'll be spending time on in Lahaina (Maui), Nawiliwili & Napali Coast (Kauai), Hilo, Honolulu, and Kailua Kona. Dive operator suggestions are appreciated - I also do a lot of free diving, so if there are operators you recommend who run freediving excursions for photography that is also appreciated. Any other recommendations (this is my first trip to the hawaiian islands) are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Brian

On Kauai, try www.divekauai.com its in gthe middle of the island on east coast at Kapa'a. I dived with them about 5 years ago and Mike & Hugo are still running the hardboat.

I see you are going to Na'Pali coastline, its 4000ft, be careful with 300m limit after diivng. You dont say where you are staying but there is one main highway, and yes there is a little rush hour! The boat usually goes from the small boat harboure in the south.

As for dives, Sheraton Caverns was a great one and Night Dive Tunnels Reef at Ke'e Beach (where they filmed south pacific Bali Hi) - Hugo knows this very well. Spanish dancers, big green sea turtles and white tips :-). Also Koloa'a Landing at Poipu, night dive, for the endemic dragon morays! Fish Bowl and Camp One were also good with loads of fish, swimthroughs and frogfish.

Enjoy.

Tony

Hate to be negative - but - avoid the Kona Aggressor. We were dissapointed beyond words this summer.

Suffice to say that all the crewmembers who were cheerful, talented, knowledgable, and safety conscous, have all quit or been fired.

All the best, James

My 2 cents...

I've dove with Bubbles Below in Kauai for 4 years (pics from the last three are on my website if you want to see the usual suspects) and have really enjoyed the freedom to do my own dives as well as the intensive critter breifing before each dive. Pictures of likely subjects, (They are usually all there too) are gone over so you can arrange with Linda or her DM before submerging on what you'd like to shoot. Usually, I follow the group down, let them all have a look and then spend as much time as I'd like shooting. If I catch up later fine, if not...so you may be able to do your freediving photography off the boat. Lots of Turtles around so they'd be perfect subjects for you.

Linda is also good about trying to get in the water ahead of the Whales that time of year. And hope they swim by. My freediving skills suck so when I was next to a mother and calf, I didn't get much in the way of photos.

I've done shore dives at Koloa Landing. It's a nasty road down. You can park above, gear up and walk down. Not all that far to the water. There's a dive shop fairly close where you can rent a tank or two. Watch the surf as it can push you around a bit on entering/exiting. Go straight out until you're in about 20' of water, turn right, and start looking in the coral and large rocks. If you're lucky, you'll spot the beautiful Dragon Morays that hang out there.

Rand

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements