whitehead

What kind of crab?

Any idea what kind of crab this is?

Depth: 4 meters

Size: about 10 mm across body

post-1614-1133019200_thumb.jpg

Some type of neck crab, need a slightly better pic for better id.

or so says my wife the fish id lady

I'm not happy with that answer 'cause this little guy is so cute he deserves a proper name. I've sent the http to Art - my guide in all things crabby - in hopes he'll respond.

Perspective is a little odd, but you sure it's not a Hyastenus bispinosus relative?

~Matt Segal

It might be a majid but not a close relative of Hyastenus bispinosus. H. bispinosus has 2 major spines forming the rostrum like in Naxioides taurus. I haven't found a corresponding image, that's why I called in the cavalry (i.e., Art).

Well, I am totally flabbergasted! Art said from the angle he can't even tell what family it is. Paul, I know it's a tough job but you're just going to have to go back to Lembeh and take some more photographs for us.

Cheers, I am going to have another search through the shots tonight, but I think they are all a similar angle, unfortunately, I seem to remember it being very wary......

_WHT3350.jpg

Have been looking through the files trying to find a view of the carapice but to no avail. I have continued to search the web and ID books but can find nothing close as yet...... these are as close a carapice view as I, unfortunately, got. the only other bit of relevant ino i have is that it buried itself in the sand after a while.....

_WHT3355.jpg

Thanks, Paul. Let's see if Art can do anything with these.

Unfortunately, there's still not enough detail for Art to be able to tell what this is. Like I said, you'll just have to go back to Lembeh!

I didn't give up on this one and TA-DA!!! - it's Gomeza bicornis. Apparently it's fairly widespread in the IP especially on sandy-muddy shores in seagrass areas. It's just not in any of the usual guide books or web sites.

Sponsors

Advertisements