Sign in to follow this  
bvanant

Help

Anyone have an idea on how to remove a focus light adapter from the top of a Subal housing? I have a Subal 20 D housing and use an ultralight adapter to put a focus light on top. The ultralight threads have now stuck to the threaded rod on the housing top and when I turn the adapter, the threaded rod turns also but doesn't unscrew. Any thoughts, other than cut the adapter off which seems pretty brutal.

thanks

Bill

I am not familiar with the way your light adapter moubts to the Subal, but I would guess that the threads are stripped in the housing. Not good!

If it is frozen to the adapter, and you want to use the light I would consider using epoxy to keep it from rotating and live with it.

chris

Subal uses a plastic mounting plate with metal threads. Minor impact or overtightening causes the threads to loosen from the plastic. You'll most likely have to use enough force to pull the metal threads from the plastic base. Ultralight (ULCS) makes a metal replacement mounting plate that will ensure you don't run into this problem again.

I want to use the mounting lights and don't like the permanent mounting idea very much since it makes the housing a lot more difficult to pack. I will try pulling it off the plastic, but I was worried about bending the housing a bit if I used too much torque. Maybe it is best to cut it off near the base then replace the whole piece.

thanks

Bill

Use common sense in applying torque to remove the metal threads from the plastic base and you should have no problem, use a bending action rather than pulling. Two screws hold the plastic base to the housing, you'll use the same two screws to install the ULCS replacement. The part number is BA-SP ($12.95) and we've got them in stock. It's a good idea to use a little Bostik Never-Seez or Permatex Anti-Seize to prevent this problem on housing attachments.

Is it the center base (with a single threaded female hole on the housing)? I had the same problem with my FS2 - the ULCS base plate rotated uselessly but could not be removed. Ultimately I had to have the piece drilled out the next time the housing was back at Subal Austria for servicing.

After that, I don't even try to use the center mount base, just the ones on the two sides that take two screws. If I'm using strobe arms on the two mounting plates and I need a third mount for an aiming/focusing light or light, I just use a triple clamp on the right side.

Frogfish

Dave:

Again thanks for the reply, the parts are on the way. You mention two types of anti-seize and there are literally thousands, do you have a reason to use either Bostik or Permatex or are these just ones you have tried.

thanks

BVA

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements