Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

SB102?

Does anyone have any experience with the SB102? GN? Angle of coverage etc.

Yes,

It's a powerful wideangle strobe. It takes 6 c-cells. I'm not sure of the exact UW guide number but I'd guess it's between 32 and about 45...maybe a little more.

It has 3 manual settings, TTL, and "auto" which is some fake ttl thing that Nikon did for ppl w/ the Nik III and IV.

HTH

James

I tryed SB 102 with CP5000 and Aquatica. It only worked for me at 1/16 mode, TTL and any other settings give a huge overexposure. Does anyone have any ideas?

Val :blink:

I used an SB102 with my coolpix 5000 and I was able to get good shots - especially for wideangle (28mm) shooting. You need the set some flash compensation of about 1.0 or 2.0 to get good results. Also experiment with strobe aiming to light the subject properly. If the strobe is angled down too far, you can burn out the foreground.

HTH

James

You need to employ the add on sensor intended for use with manual nik's this reads the flash output and turns it off when it thinks it has had enough (cough).

Hi Bob,

The coolpix5000 has its own sensor to do this so the "high-tec 80's technology auto sensor" that comes with the SB102 is not needed. A TTL sync cord from the camera to the strobe can be used instead.

Cheers

James

I agree with James, strobe compencation option does the job, as well as manual settings in the camera and in the strobe do. I got good results with 1/16 power on the strobe and 1/2000 shutter speed with 2.8 - 8 aperture (depending on the distance and background). The Nikonos sinch. cable works OK, it sichronize the camera and the strobe. However, when SB102 is set to TTL, I am getting the same power as if it is set for the full power, I could not get the strobe reacting to the camera readings, as it should be in the case of TTL setup.

Val

:blink

Valval, that sounds like a bad sync cord or bad connection. One of those wires and pins carries the TTL signal from the camera that "tells" the strobe to quench.

Have a look at your sync cord sockets for corrosion, etc.

HTH

James

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements