kriptap

Magic at Stingray City

Just wanted to post this as I was asked if I could when I had the chnace to dive Stingray with the magic filter, used the 10.5 and MWB in the sand, I'll post a couple more later:

CAY_3092.jpg

Hi Patrick,

Color on the diver looks good, but purple sky is un-natural looking to me. Any way you can knock down the purple?

Thanks for posting.

Cheers

James

I think the 10.5 is too wide in this instance. The color is very nice in the middle but with the 10.5 shooting vertical you're getting too much sky and sand to get a good WB. Maybe shooting horizontal would work better. Or maybe you just didn't get a good custom WB.

I think the fact that is was only 12ft deep and that I was upright makes that colour that way it does, I was only about 5ft from the surface. The MWB was spot on.

Nice pic. The purple's nothing that can't be fixed in 15s with Photoshop. Just switch to Lab mode, tweak the 'a' curve, and voila!

post-4904-1133668405_thumb.jpg

It can be further improved, but it's now lunch time :P

Great colours Patrick.

Here are a couple of mine taken at the same place:

CY0369.jpg

And this one with the filter right up on top of the Sandbar in waist deep water:

CY0394.jpg

Alex

Thanks Mattdiver, where do I find lab mode? I know where I went wrong their I think, I was tilting up instead of pointing down a little, not bothered about the image I'll just have another try another day, like tomorrow!

That's right:

Image->Mode->Lab Color

Then you bring up the Curves (Ctrl+M), select the 'a' channel and tweak the top part slightly downward while maintaining the rest straight. This gets rid of the magenta in the highlights :D

Mat

That is a good trick. What other kinds of tricks can you only get away with in LAB mode?

Joe

Boy, if there was ever a place "made" for the Magic Filter, it's Stingray City on a sunny day!

Sponsors

Advertisements