Sign in to follow this  
Alex_Mustard

Your ONE best shot of 2005

913333.jpg

Squid in the night - I encountered this squid at around 15 meter deep and he followed us for a long time, everytime putting himself in front of the camera...

Sepioteuthis lessoniana - Philippines, night dive. 2005.

Thats a sweet looking squid!

awesome shots, everyone....tiger sharks, whales, sunbursts in cave and one potent shot which tells a whole lot of story.

this is my fav for 2005, last dive of my trip. i had gotten my hippocampuses and harloquin shrimp and after shooting them, it was like, "phew! finally gotten them." but when i saw this fella, i just couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

It's always the unexpected that let your heart skip a beat!!

74767912_07c86049b6.jpg

Eric

Hi,

Below my favorite picture of the year... and let me, at the same time, introduce you to Jorj... my Golden Retriever ! :wacko:

Claude

Jorj_31.jpg

PS: this was, normally, one of my last non-digital uw-shoot :)

claude, you know us doggie lovers cant resist a chance to show ours. This is zacko drinking from the pool. Taken with my old n90 with a fisheye lens

post-2172-1135189603_thumb.jpg

It may not be my best, but it is my favorite. Here's Eric looking up the nose of a tiger shark from last March's Bahamas trip. Grey O'Hara is the bait master looking on.

post-796-1135440027_thumb.jpg

This is my favorite Harlequin Shrimp

Taken at Seraya, Bali, Indonesia

65523356_9d32b3a8f0_o.jpg

Camera Make: Canon

Camera Model: Canon PowerShot A80

Image Date: 2005:11:20 15:44:52

Flash Used: Yes (Manual)

Focal Length: 7.8mm

CCD Width: 2.00mm

Exposure Time: 0.0031 s (1/320)

Aperture: f/4.5

White Balance: Auto

Metering Mode: Center Weight

Exposure Mode: Manual

Outstanding images everyone....lovin the dog shots...too funny

Hey Chip, good to see you on here.

A little feeding perchance??? he he he

Where in the Tuamotu?

Outstanding images everyone....lovin the dog shots...too funny

Hey Chip, good to see you on here.

A little feeding perchance???  he he he 

Where in the Tuamotu?

Busted! We were with Douglas, Ron and Val ... and had a local French divemaster (Sebastien) hand-feeding upcurrent just out of the frame to the left. The shot was with the 10.5 - it was very fast action, and I'm afraid I burned out the lower shark with the strobes, but there's not much you can do in a situation like that which is so ... umm ... fluid. I forgot to note on the metadata exactly which pass this was taken in - I <think> Rangiroa, but I'm not entirely sure. I was in a little cave and my major problem was keeping the grey reefs out in front of me ... as the little bits from Sebastien would float down the (screamin') current and get behind me, the odd enterprising animal would try to get to them, making me glad for the right-hand strobe which provided just enough plastic discouragement to keep everyone where they needed to be. As they say, "Don't try this at home, kids".

Actually - that's a bit of an overstatement. In two weeks of this kind of action, none of us ever felt threatened in any way. The animals were amazing in their ability to distinguish between the edible and the non-edible, even in the midst of great competition for tasty morsels. One curious note - Douglas and I were both shooting our Inons ... and getting the occasional mouthing of the strobes when food <wasn't> present. When I shot my YS-120's, nothing remotely similar occurred. Must be something in the electronics - if I turned the Inons off, the grey reef's interest in them also turned off. Wonder if anyone else has noticed this? I'm shooting Tigers with Jim in a few months ... humm ... maybe I'll just use the Magic Filter and leave the Inons home!

Chip

Another pic from this trip attached post-2288-1135620009_thumb.jpg

Well this is my first post here. I had never taken an underwater picture until November 26th when I travelled to Yap and took a photo course from Mike Veitch. In fact, I had never taken my new Rebel XT or Ikelite housing out of the boxes. So what you see is the direct result of a good teacher. Thanks to Tim Rock who was also there at the time.

I took about 8,000 photos over the last month including Palau and Truk and gained new respect for folks who take UW photos. I think I only did one dive without a camera, although leaving the lens cap on and installing the camera so I could not turn it on happened a couple times, and can't imagine diving without it now. I hope you like it, it is the best one I've found so far. I'm still going through them all.

Dennis

post-5731-1135620679_thumb.jpg

Great photo Dennis and welcome to the pond!

From a fellow MOF'er :).

Thanks Jam. Great to see the the MOF messaage being spread through the entire diving community. There are a couple more on this board.

wow. some excellent photo's. i am new to diving and photography and only have a sony P12 with sony housing. I have been to a few nice locations this year and have had a great deal of fun capturing shots that remind me of excellent times. my photos are not in the same league as most of the postings here, but the smile on my face has definately been as big. happy new year and safe diving...

post-5742-1135711863_thumb.jpg

Welcome Stewsmith.......excellent Mandarinfish capture!.....I'd be smiling too :):)

Karl

This has been a year of huge change for me, I left a very secure (and quite lucrative) job in Texas for a position (much less secure, much less lucrative) at a brand new Veterinary School in Oregon right in the middle of the year, and went back into clinical practice after 6 years of pure research. I didn't do much travel in the first half of the year as I was getting things wound up, and I have been on clinics pretty much non-stop since arriving in Corvallis, so I actually haven't dived in >15 months.

All of which means I'm going to have to take a leaf out of James/fdog's post, and put up something decidely NDR. This is what I have been up to since the move. (NB, I'm not the ultrasound operator... I took the shot :) )

This dog belonged to one of our major benefactors. She passed away a couple of years ago, and left >$US24million to the veterinary school @ OSU, we have subsequently named the teaching hospital after her. Chili (the dog) has multicentric lymphosarcoma (cancer of the lymph glands), one of the tumors is behind the left eye and pushing it forwards, causing the third eyelid to protrude. I took this on Christmas eve, the day we made the diagnosis and started chemotherapy for the dog. She is having an ultrasound examination to look at involvement of the liver, spleen and abdominal lymph nodes.

We are treating her at no charge, in recognition of her prior owner's generosity.

2005_select.jpg

(This was shot with a D70s and an off camera SB-800 flash behind the ultrasound operator to light the walls, using the D70 kit lens, in camera JPEG fine. And of the >3000 shots of various subjects I have taken this year, I honestly think it is my "One Best Shot")

sorry for my english :(

this is my first post

The photo was taken in Derawan last November

post-5598-1135769249_thumb.jpg

gennaro ciavarella

Hi All

My Favorite shot of this years was captured during a recent trip to the Maldives.

Taken with the Nikkor 18-70mm.

I just love the colours.

post-4127-1135773673_thumb.jpg

regards

and all the best for 2006

craig

After 42 years taking pictures, the day I have a favourite, or even one that I continue to be satisfied with, I will call it a day!

Mine all suck, but here is one of my favorites. Overexposed anemone on a nightdive in Bonaire.

post-4860-1135907095_thumb.jpg

Lanai, Hawaii December 2005. At the first Cathedral divesite

post-5408-1136147232_thumb.jpg

Shot with Oly C5050 in Ikelite housing.

Happy New Year,

Alan

Some of my favourite dives this year were with the seal pups in the Farne Islands. I wouldnt say this was my best pic, but definately the most fun.. its difficult to choose one as they were all so lovely... :(post-4483-1136039656_thumb.jpg

Hi Jane....welcome to Wetpixel :(:blink:

I enjoyed your website very much!

Karl

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements