Sign in to follow this  
Alex_Mustard

Your ONE best shot of 2005

Hey Jane,

That would'nt happen to be Mr Lloyd, my Antibes drinking buddy from Oz would it.

Then again he can't help it. :):rolleyes:

Say high from me when you next see him and I'm Glad he liked my film.

Dive safe

DeanB

Julian what a great fish portrait and a Picasso in the same time my favorite fish...

Great colors details contrast and background...

I wish i could make this kind off Photos...

Lambis

Thank You Lambis.

... You can, just wait until you have your strobe(s) ... a bottle of air would help too ;-)

Julian

Image-B616FFE2894A11DA.jpg

Night dive with white tips at Cocos, Ike/D70/10.5mm/2XDS125.

Not so much a great photo as a great dive (another shot from this dive posted before, but not on this thread).

Other shots here.

Cheers, Chris

Looking at all these incredible images maybe there should be a Wet Pixel stock library, Take a bite out of Getty!

Great white tips Chris!! i love that dive!!

Now ALEX hit a home run with this forum...is that what a doctoral gets you?? Excellent topic, Alex.

He most certainly has, and I like Photobeats idea of a stock library. :D

Ps. start a new thread with your worst picture were everything went wrong. :)

I`ve got hundreds of them. :P

cheers

Ted

On the dive where everything goes wrong, you don't get a picture - you get a camera full of salt water :P

I swppared in the Sony P9 for a 20d and spent a week in the red sea learning how (well, starting to learn how) to use it. I managed to get this terrifying image in a friends pool though

post-3180-1138194953_thumb.jpg

:P

James

Incredible photos everyone!! I've been meaning to read this thread for over a month and I'm glad I finally did.

My favorite of the year is an Atlantic Wolffish from Deer Island, New Brunswick, Canada, where "warm" is 48F. This was one of the warmest days, and the last photo I took before I saw a river flowing into my housing. Miraculously, the camera survived and went on to take photos later that weekend.

Atlantic Wolffish

Well, 2005 was my year to upgrade from a compact to a DSLR - and here is the result! Still got a lot to learn on this subject & finding this forum invaluable!

post-5660-1138400710_thumb.jpg

This is not my best photo for 2005 but it is the most unusual. Its a Giant Yellowfin tuna (6 feet+) taken at Gunang Api in the middle of the Banda sea in Indonesia(check your charts). I panned my subal f/5 to get this action shot and it worked. This is a film shot with VS100. Hey did he say film?? You remember that stuff comes in cans. It's the most lucky for me of the year shot. Thats my wife on the right. Mark

post-3833-1139042500_thumb.jpg

That Dolphin shot is fan-f&*%^ing-tastic.

Joe

Joe

Thank you for your comment!

I was concerned that it actually looks a little 'artificial' (i.e. that the dolphin was transposed onto the wreck) after a comment by a non-diving friend.

So just to dispel.........

post-5660-1139077787_thumb.jpg

Mark,

That's the ono kine!!!! I didn't know they were found that big except for around the Revillaghedos (sp??) and Clipperton. How did you get the shot, did the tuna just come by while you were on another dive, of did you jump in after a school had been chummed up? Funny how the other two divers aren't really looking.

Cheers

James

One of my fav. shots. Cuttle fish are facinating, as their colors change and their arms articulate, they make such a great photgraphic subject.

post-1734-1139148808_thumb.jpg

Shooters and Shooterettes :angry:

Hate to pick a shark photo but I've looked and looked and looked over this photo for quite a bit time trying to determine if this injury was from being hooked.

Sometimes I think it had to be at least partly injured this way. But the multiple small marks in rows behind the gills plus the flap of skin on the top tells me this shark was bitten by another....Head first!

I picked it mainly for the initial visceral impact it has....

YMMV

dhaas

post-244-1139194588_thumb.jpg

James said

(That's the ono kine!!!! I didn't know they were found that big except for around the Revillaghedos (sp??) and Clipperton. How did you get the shot, did the tuna just come by while you were on another dive, of did you jump in after a school had been chummed up? Funny how the other two divers aren't really looking.)

Back when I dove the revillagigedo especially Roca partida we saw bigger tuna back in 92(Private charter). The sharks were one continuous parade of species. Just did not have autofocus system back then. The place was wild then- now I'm told its like most other spots not much action as the big ones are fished out. Would love to dive Clipperton -You know of any way to do that??

As far as Gunung api it also is a little exposed sea mount in the middle of the banda sea. We were there to shoot (photo) sea snakes. There are about 10.000. snakes to shoot there. Its sea snake heaven. These are the deadly poisonous types but they are very curious and not a threat at all as long as you do not aggravate them. Anyway three of us swam as far as possiable away from others to see what we could see. We were not chumming. As stated this guy came in to check us out . I saw them coming and have a few silhouettes from below. This one was curious-never seen divers most likely as the banda sea is very remote. Speaking of over fishing we trolled lures about 2000 miles of the 3000 from Sorong to Bali transet and only caught a few fish. That area has been fished out by foriegn fleets for way to long. If I had not panned the camera there was no way for a shot-Just 100% pure luck. Not to bad for film either.The other divers did see the tuna's just not right then.Hope that answers your thoughts. i can post the silouettes when I scann them. I'm still editing the 4000 slides from that trip. Seems my life as a potter gets in the way of other things-darn people want more mugs always. Sorry to hear about your theft woes. Mark

Hi David,

Could that have been a mating wound? Some sharks are very violent while mating, including clamping down on the female.

Joe

Joe,

The shark is a female from looking closely at other images but has no mating bites near her pectoral fins or farther back. The bite markings literally look like this shark was taken in head first and chomped on several times which would bear out the many rows of teeth marks visible near the gills.

Probably a territorial or food competition move....

Later!

dhaas

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements