segal3

Maui, Hawaii 2005

Maui, Hawaii 2005 Gallery

_MG_0073_01w.jpg

Finally had some time to put together a collection of images from my recent trip to Maui. Diving was with the Ed Robinson's boats as always, and I also had the opportunity to dive a few times with John Davies (Canuck). Water temperatures had been warmer this year than in years past, and the variety of species was apparent. Leaf scorpionfish, frogfish, lionfish, octopus, and crustaceans galore. I also continued my 'pattern' theme in some shots...

As per previous posts, I'm always interested in feedback, critique, suggestions, and the like (is it absolutely necessary to post something in the critique-it forum? hardly - just say what you want :D ). Sorry for any noticeable cross-messageboard-posting for those of you in the know :P

Maui, Hawaii 2005 Gallery. Enjoy...

~Matt Segal

Great cleaning shot! And I really like the wreck too...

Luiz

This a nice pic - technically good but I know you want crritisicm, not easy right off the back but I can always find something :P

1. The fish in the upper left is an eyepuller - takes you away from the main subject, easy just clone it out in photoshop. The tiny fish are a nice complement

2.The turtle and the wreck kind of compete for the main subject. If the subject was a tturtle swimming around the wreck I think I would like to see more wreck and maybe closer to the turtle, the vast blue competes and complicates the main subject.

3. The turtle is looking to the right and is close to the edge of the frame. You kind of want to look where he is looking so I would have put him more to the left of the frame using the turtles eyes to follow along to seing more wreck.

Still a nice pic - very good technically, Shadow of the fin on the turtle? - well I can't be that picky can I . Sure I can only cause it is a good pic.

I like the fish in the corner! It provides a balancing tension and there would otherwise be a large void there. Nice shots on your site too! :P

Awesome shot. Love the color of the blue and the sharp focus.

I would certainly think that putting the turtle on the left looking into the frame would improve the composition quite a bit. Other than that..love it. In particular the colors are very well balanced and attractive.

What lens was this taken with and how wide?

Yep, that John Davies is a great guy.

Very nice cleaning shot. The positions in the shot are great.

I have heard from a lot of seasond underwater photographers that Hawaii is not really worth the work of hauling gear and the expense that could be applied to a more exotic trip. After seeing Matt's work, I have changed my mind. How many days of diving was that? YOu got some good shots there, dude.

Joe

Thanks for the positive words everyone. :D

This a nice pic - technically good but I know you want crritisicm, not easy right off the back but I can always find something  :huh:

I'll expect a full report on the entire gallery by Friday. :huh:

I would certainly think that putting the turtle on the left looking into the frame would improve the composition quite a bit...

What lens was this taken with and how wide?

I really liked the look of it just passing through, somewhat of a flyover feel. And there were divers w/ bubbles to the right :huh: My gallery software actually provides this information, but it was with the Canon 10-22mm EF-S @ 10mm (16mm equivalent).

I have heard from a lot of seasond underwater photographers that Hawaii is not really worth the work of hauling gear and the expense that could be applied to a more exotic trip.  After seeing Matt's work, I have changed my mind.  How many days of diving was that?

Joe - I really appreciate the compliment. Four days of diving, but that's a little misleading. On the fourth day, I chose less photography-minded dives, and instead did a few deep, high-current ones (saw a ton of greys and a large manta), so hardly any photos from then. In the three days prior, most days were 2-tanks, and I went out on a night dive once. This wasn't 4-5 dives/day liveaboard-esque diving. I was happy with the creature saturation :D

~Matt Segal

Sponsors

Advertisements