wetpixel

Official Insurance Thread

re: extending coverage of homeowners

I'd like to see you claim two housings floods on your HOA insurance. they'll drop you, and you'll be screwed.

that's why we use dedicated insurance; it minimizes risk that you'll have your home insurance canned.

Many homeowner's policies will not cover water "ingess". Others will not cover you if you make even 1 cent / year from your photos. Baggage insurance does not cover cameras or sporting equipment. So, I'm glad there are companies like DEPP and DAN around.

Cheers,

Marli

re: extending coverage of homeowners

Another issue when having camera gear covered under homeowners insurance is that the coverage isn't necessarily based on cost, but on REPLACEMENT value for identical equipment. Someone knocked my Coolpix 5000 off the camera table of a liveaboard last year, and when I went to make a claim, my State Farm agent said they'd only pay about $300 (it originally cost me close to $1,000) because that was the going price of a new CP5000 on eBay. He then said he wouldn't suggest that I even make the claim because if I had a "big" (i.e., more expensive involving housing, etc.) claim within a year or two, they could drop my coverage or drastically hike my rates. So I ended up just eating the loss. :)

So...yes, a homeowners rider is a cheaper way to go than DAN or DEPP, but not without its own drawbacks.

My experience with DEPP has been great!

I got back from a Bahamas trip where my Canon S70 flooded due to a small crack in my housing. I mailed it to their authorized camera shop for inspection and within 2 weeks, DEPP bought me a brand new S70 and housing from ADORAMA and had it shipped to me. And I didn't have to fill out any form or do anything other than make a call to report it and ship it! :-D

Delays in response to other peoples claims may have to do with the backlog at the camera shop. That and the shipper (I sent it FedEx ground which took 2-3 days).

Does Depp require a serial number, my housing is used and the serial number (the sticker) is rubbed off so I don't know it. I've tried to find the original owner with no success.

Why do they use stickers on a mettel housing? The part number is engraved but the serial number is a sticker...go figure...

Just so that you guys know; I called both H20 & Depp, neither answered the phone...

I know that DAN only requires serial numbers of equipment that cost over 5k.

I just signed up with DEPP last week and gave them serial numbers for some things but not everything. They did not have a problem with it, and at least one of the items without a S/N is valued at $1,000.

As far as the calling them goes, I think it's just one lady (Sandy) that answers the phone, so you will have to try a few times. Also, they are in CA so 3 hours behind FL. When you do get through to her, she is very helpful.

The URL for DEPP that Eric Cheng provided at the beginning of this thread..

(http://www.equipmentprotection.com/programs/depp.html)

..no longer works. Trying just "www.equipmentprotection.com" bounces to another website run by a company called Innovative Programs Group, Inc. There are several pages there devoted to DEPP, but this seems to be limited to an members of an affinity group known as "The Coral Reef".

The enrollment form on this website provides, among other things, that any claims be processed through "The Coral Reef" and that damaged equipment be sent to them for repair or replacement. There is a brochure about the policy on the website which lists the same no-longer working URL. To get a copy of the actual policy, you have to call a telephone number in the US (area code 760).

There are some other forms on the site for supplying personal information, all of which require a (US) state and zip code and apparently do not allow one to fill out the form from outside the US. (There is no country field option, and the state and zip codes fields are obligatory.)

Does anyone know what is happening to or at DEPP? The possibility that the company actually issuing the insurance may have disappeared, or that coverage may now be limited to US citizens or residents (who are also members of "The Coral Reef"?) is making me very nervous.

Frogfish

As far as I understand it "DEPP" equipment insurance has only ever been available to persons based in the U.S. ( US resident )

Am I wrong - has a non US based person ever had a successful claim/ settlement ??

I didn't had a claim till know, but I'm insured with DEPP.

DAN are the folks that only insure US Residents

Simon

Unfortunately DAN doesn't work for us outside the US. The question I'm concerned about is whether DEPP may not work anymore either.

Frogfish

doesnt DAN have other regional areas covered? DAN Europe, and Australia has DAN too, i thought?

[EDIT:

I've been in touch with DAN-SEAP, and the information I had that they were dropping non-citizen expatriate residents in Asia from coverage is apparently incorrect. So I'm pulling the contents of the [angry] message I had posted here.

Apologies if I got anyone else alarmed or excited by this - I was writing in response to what I believed was a genuine communication from DAN.

Frogfish

[Original message contents deleted....]

Frogfish

Edited by frogfish

Things don't look good. I contacted Dive Master Insurance in the UK to see if I could get dive insurance (and camera equipment coverage from them. But it's no go. Thanks, DAN.

The reply to my query to DiveMaster is below. I assume that Dwan meant to write "expat residents of Indonesia" rather than "residents of expats in Indonesia". Divemaster does get credit for a very prompt response. At least I didn't have to spend $200 on phone charges to find out that this won't work.

Frogfish

Dear Robert

Thank you for your email received in the office today. Unfortunately we are not licensed to insure residents of expats in Indonesia, so I am afraid that we will be unable to help you on this occasion.

Regards Dawn

01702 509093

Dive Master Insurance Consultants Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority, reference number 306316

Hi to Robert and others, about dive equipment insurance:

I live in Minnesota, USA and insurance is regulated here by state law. I have complete coverage for all my dive gear, including camera flooding, theft, fire and unintentional loss thru State Farm Insurance which also has my car insurance. The policy costs about $35.00/yr for about $2500 coverage worldwide.

Now as to international, I remember when we lost our condo in St. Croix due to hurricane Hugo in 1989, Chubb was our carrier and paid quickly. Can't you find an international major like Chubb or AIG or AXA (France) to cover you in Indo / Malaysia etc.? I'm skeptical of the smaller companies.

Scubaskeeter,

Thanks. I don't think I'm going to get very far with any of the international majors, at least not while I'm living here in Indonesia. Insurance is difficult here anyway - something I'm finding out as we look into the issue of sourcing insurance here for the new entity that will be co-managing Komodo National Park.

I was disappointed that Divemaster won't insure anyone outside of the UK, because their program sounded good (on paper) and I liked the idea of doing everything with one carrier.

The fact that DEPP's website has been moved and another company may now be behind it makes me nervous, particularly since nobody here seems to know the real story behind the change - if there has been a change.

I guess I'll contact DEPP and see what's what for the cameras and contact DAN-US about dive coverage, see if they'll take me on. [incorrect information deleted]

Frogfish

Edited by frogfish

TRY CINESURE in Sydney , they handle motion picture stuff .

http://www.cinesure.com.au/

I have all my gear insured through them. The premiium's about $3300 for $125000 equipment - just the $1500 excess makes it painfull for little items.

Just spoke to the team at Cinesure - they are only able to write policy's for residents or companies registered in Australia & New Zealand. The agent says the reason has do do with their reinsurance arrangements......

Good news for OZ not so good for everyone else.

Sorry for the false start.

Had a very quick glance at this webpage http://www.nikonians.org/insurance

Some of the terms covered:

Covers both amateur and professional use.

Covers all camera equipment and photography accessories.

Covers travel

Worldwide coverage and your location does not matter.

Covers breakage, damage, theft and loss.

No deductible except on theft (250 USD).

New equipment replaced first year. After that valuated at market price (depreciation according to current market price).

Covers damages due to rain, water, moisture, snow, sand, storms.

Claiming is done online.

Payable in USD and Euros.

Noticed this in the FAQs

If I dive with my camera is it covered?

If you are using a underwater housing that was not defect at the time of starting the dive, yes.

Downside is, it only covers Nikon Cameras.

Paul.

Thanks for letting us know Paul! I didn't know about this. It is a good option for Nikon shooters that live outside the US, since it is worldwide coverage. The insurance company is German.

Luiz

P.S.: Paul, I merged your topic with wetpixel's Official Insurance Thread, this is just to keep everything in one place, I hope you don't mind.

I just read the DEPP 'Important Information' document and the following restriction seems to border on the insane:

FLOOD CLAIMS:

All flooded or damaged equipment must be shipped to the Coral Reef authorized facility within five (5) days of the claim. If the

damaged equipment has not been shipped within five (5) days of the occurrence, your deductible will be increased by ten

percent (10%) per day until the item is shipped.

That means that if I flood the first day of a 10 day liveaboard trip I lose ALL coverage (10% + 9 days X 10% = 100% deductible). Even assuming they meant that the penalty starts after the 5th day, that's still a 50% deductible. Realistically, I would not be able to ship it the last day of the trip... there would be at least a day of travel involved before I could ship it.

Has anyone experienced a flood like this? Does DEPP enforce this clause? If they do enforce this clause, who on earth would list with them?

Does the $250 deductible limit override the penalty?

They are actually very reasonable about this! My husband flooded his TopDawg housing on the 1st dive of a 2-week trip....we called them when we got home and told them exactly when it had happened and why it took us so long to make the claim and they paid it completely.... :)

Wow, what a great thread, for such an unfun topic!

To clarify a little, these policies (DAN + DEPP) cover camera gear whether or not you break it diving, right? Like if you're just a klutz and you drop it unrelated to scuba diving, it's covered, right?

And DAN's exclusion that everybody is talking about excludes claims for "loss" while the item is in your use and possession - like the aforementioned "oops I dropped it overboard while taking whale photos." This exclusion doesn't SEEM to exclude the klutzy "I dropped my camera on the deck and it broke" move, only the "I dropped it over the side and it sank in 2000 fsw," but just double checking.

Thanks!

Taxgeek

Sponsors

Advertisements