motionsync

Hartenberger 250 TTL digital -

I just have go trough the Hartenberger webpage and I just fall in love with the

250 TTL digital.

O.K I know... It is a big Strobe and a very expensive one but the quality and configurations are exelent...

Most impress am I about the posability to order it with custom reflectors that:

a:) can control the temperature .. 5000 K is standard then you have 5000 - 4500 -4000

b:) they have refletcors for wide angle. They can spread the Light to 130 degrees..

I think this is a powerfull Strobe to use with the 10,5 & 16 mm Nikon lens

The 130 degrees cover enough for one strobe setup

The different kelvin reflectors help you to have a warmer light.. if you need

(I think that with Magic Filter you need a colder light like Kelvin 5000, Alex will know)

SO guys what are you thinking? the strobe is expensive but not more that a dual strobe setup

Lambis

Seems ideal for freediving, Lambis! I really think you should try swimming with a strobe attached to your housing before buying one.

Alex

OK, my gear lusting friend!

Here is a sample shot taken with the 10.5mm and lit with just a single strobe. It works fine, as long as you can position and aim a strobe! It hasn't quite reached the corners, but the picture is acceptable.

single_strobe.jpg

Obviously this is uncropped and I chose this example as it is in a cave so you can see exactly what the strobe has lit. Nikon D100 + 10.5mm + single Subtronic Alpha.

For your type of photography, the subject is never going to fill the entire from so lighting it will be even easier with a single strobe.

Hope that this helps.

Alex

It's a "dream" strobe.

I had a look at it last BOOT show...

But I think Alex is right...

It's not only big, it's heavy too. I had two big Subtronic strobes before, don't think they'll work when freediving, except you put the rig on a buoy or yourself on scuba...

Cheers

Torben

Look at the bright side... At least Lambis won't need a weight belt! :D:)

Oh, and while we are on the subject, the Magic Filters complimentary flash filter might be available in the New Year.

I already have one that works perfectly on land, but this is not ideal underwater and I want to develop one that compensates for an approx 1 metre of light path (through seawater) from the strobe to the subject and back to the camera.

I should add that there are no promises that it will be commercially available, but watch this space.

Alex

Good news Alex - I've been waiting for one so that I can use the magic filter. I'm a "strobe-lovin" guy.

A complementary filter to the Magic could easily be fitted between the flash tube and diffuser for each of my Ikelite SS200's.

Cheers

James

I've long been looking at these strobes, they are top quality, and an interchangeable battery pack makes them ideal for digital.

But despite the name I'm not sure these have iTTL or eTTL 2 compatability. I emailed Hartenberger a month or so back and they expect iTTL around January, so we may see some new strobes coming out from them.

BTW, despite weighing 3kg's on land, they are neutral underwater, so drag will be your biggest problem.

Cheers

Steve

Alex I am not gear lusting guy...O.K. a lite

Honest I am thinking to spend my money wise.. and to get the tool that I need to improve my Photos.

The biggest different with you guys is that I take always the sma ekind of Photos... and a Strobe that is wide powerfull and with the right kelvin is better that two that just not do whant I need...

I know now that I need a strobe with cirular tube. so Inons are out of question

Then.. Lisen Alex the news... I will scuba dive!!!! There are some projects (Privat Photoshootings) that i will do next year that work only while scubadiving... so the Strobe will not be used only in freediving but more in Scuba...

The price is high but not really higher that dual strobes... and becauce I am new on the strobe buisness I like to beginn slow but powerfull.

Steve

I have to written to Hartenberger and ask about iTTL and if they will support the ittl protocol off the new Nikon D200

Alex .. again the news about the improvent of the Magic filters is great but untill then what temperature off the strobe you think will work with the magic filters best?

Lambis

I've been lusting after the Hartenbergers for a long time now...and I haven't seen craig (the only Wetpixel member I know of that uses them consistently) on here in a long while.

Doesn't seem to be very many Americans shooting them, to say the least.

~Matt Segal

Oh, and while we are on the subject, the Magic Filters complimentary flash filter might be available in the New Year.

I already have one that works perfectly on land, but this is not ideal underwater and  I want to develop one that compensates for an approx 1 metre of light path (through seawater) from the strobe to the subject and back to the camera.

I should add that there are no promises that it will be commercially available, but watch this space.

Alex

That's great! I knew you would it!

I've seen Craig's Hartenberger strobe - it's freaking huge. Think of a one gallon paint can...

Cheers

James

I know several guys shooting Hartenberger and all of them love their strobes. Quality wise, Hartenberger is first class and personally, I would choose them over Subtronic. Especially reliability seems to be very good. But yes, the price is weight and money. Underwater, they are neutral of course. Another thing to consider with Hartenberger strobes are arms. I would consider the Hartenberger off-shore arm as this arm is really capable of holding such a huge strobe.

A friend of mine has just replaced two Inons with a Hartenberger 500 (500 Wattseconds). The Battery has about the size as an Inon strobe.

500 TTL and Inon Z220:

32-9.JPG

34-3.JPG

32-8.JPG

the "small" Hartenberger 125 + off-shore arm:

41-5.JPG

just for consideration for freediving :D

Julian

Dont worry Julian. I am strong like Zeus :-)

Drag is not really a problem for me.. I use to spearfishing when I was young.. There you have a drag if you care with you all the time a 1.2 meters wooden speargun and try to move it to the left and to the right.

The best way to use tools underwater that have a drag is to find the position that make it easy to accent and deccent and this is offen close to your body.

But still the strobe is a killer.. I would love to see some Photo galleries where they have use one Harteberger strobe..

lambis

Is there a U.S. dealer for Hartenberger?

I just have recieve a email from Hartenberger..

They 130 degrees reflector is not more available... sad news...

Lambis

Hi Lambis,

I had a 625 Digital for a while... I sold it because it was too heavy and too big - even my Ultralight arms are happy now ;) !

I know the 625 is bigger as the 250... but what I want you to know is that, regarding reliability, the guy who bought the strobe had a lot of problems with it... and returned it to Hartenberger a lot of time !

Claude

Claude I know they are big :-)

On the end I will wait and see what they will do next year.

Form What I know is Hartenberger testing some new strobes with i-TTL .

The 250 are bigger that others but not much. I think for those strobes you need powerfull arms like the Hartemberger off shore arms.

The biggest problem is that one off those Strobes togheter with arms etc.. is very expensive... ca 1800 EUros

Ikelotes new 200 look primise. otherwise I think for someone that whant to keep his money the old INON Z220 are O.K.

Lambis

I already have one that works perfectly on land, but this is not ideal underwater and  I want to develop one that compensates for an approx 1 metre of light path (through seawater) from the strobe to the subject and back to the camera.

I'm going to be experimenting with complimentary flash filters on my next trip. A pro-photographer friend is sending me a show-box filled with studio lighting gels of different temperatures and intensities. There should be some combination of cyan and blue gels that should work, though it may be necessary to customize it for different strobes and water/ambient light conditions. My thinking is that I should be able to just tape the gels over the strobe head, or else insert pieces of gels under a diffuser.

I would also like to figure out if I can use gels under a diffuser to warm up my Inon D2000w's a bit. I'll let people know how it works out.

Frogfish

Sponsors

Advertisements