Sign in to follow this  
klfmd

Canon S30 advice

I'm going to dive with my Canon S30 (with Canon underwater housing) for the first time this weekend (in the Carribean). Does anyone have any experience with this combo? Any advice? I'm not using a strobe.

Thanx B)

My father-in-law has the S40 with a Canon housing. My wife used it last week in Saba without the strobe. It did surprisingly well with a wide angle lens and a UR pro filter. The only things she messed with are focus and white balance.

My strobe flooded on our first dive and I did not bring a filter. Her pics blew mine away. I am going to create a new post to create discussion on filters. I will post a couple of pics there if you are interested.

Excuse my ignorance, but why would I need a filter if I can use filters in PS 7?

Any advice on white balance?

Look at my post titled UR Pro filter. I suppose I am in need of schooling in regard to PS curves, but the filter is instant and gets you let's say 75% of the way to a nice photo. I read the Gurus Network info on curves and it is very informative. I have spent hours messing with PS7 and I was not completely satisfied with my results. I have many photos to play with now :blink:

Oh yeah - white balance. We used a slate (anything white will work). Do a manual white balance as lighting changes (depth and cloudy conditions are two major factors that come to mind)

If you are diving with white sand, you can use that. It works fairly well.

Just realized that my avatar image is a frame from a video shot with a UR Pro filter. Notice the white sand bottom? :blink:

Krash, you avatar has great color balance that you frequently don't see. Not a trace of the characteristic UW green haze look.

klfmd, filters are not a replacement for making adjustments in PS. They improve the color balance of the light entering the camera lens so you make less severe adjustments in PS. Not all pictures will be improved with filters, but filters will expand the range of depths and light conditions that you can shoot in and will improve the quality of many shots.

The thumbnail below is video grab in 65 feet of water at Sipidan using ambient light and a color filter (probably UR Pro CY).

track4.jpg (Quicktime Broadband or Dialup. Real Video Broadband or Dialup.)

This shot would be (currently) impossible without the filter. Any combination of artificial light with or without the filter would have ruined the overall color.

back to original post.....

I've been using this combo for about a year now.

The internal flash is perfectly adequate for starting out in UW photography.

Tips ---

Use the fast action setting - this is the best underwater 'cos all the white balance, shutter speed, apeture, etc are auto - but you can "force" the flash on and off. Basic rules with this - on for macro off for not. This is 'cos it's an internal strobe and will give you backscatter probs.

That's all ya need to know.

Leave it on the "fast action" auto setting - use the flash on/off and the macro on/off - abd you're away.

Then when you get home check out all the pics - pick out your best / worse and look at what settings the camera "chose". Then you can move on to full manual. :blink:

PS - it works well for video U/W too.

Anything else please ask.

Thanks,

Cola.

Some eg's:

3 x Macro & Internal Flash

1 x Flash off

Sorry about the quality - had to compress right down to attatch. But you get the idea.

Thanks for all the advice but I left on my cruise before I could read any responses. Here is a link to some of my better shots.

Caribbean cruise

All pics were taken with my S30 set on aperature priority, white balance set to cloudy and flash on.

Please feel free to give me an honest opinion and advice.

Ken

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements