ColinZylka

Ikelite D70 Housing cracks?

Getting ready for another group trip soon, and I discovered my D70 housing has developed a crack running from the shutter release lever to the power control rod at the top right corner of the housing. Anyone else have this issue?

When I got back from my last trip, I checked everything after the air flight and all was well, with the housing kept in the Pelican case since then.

I've sent it back to ikelite for evaluation this morning.

Colin.

Getting ready for another group trip soon, and I discovered my D70 housing has developed a crack running from the shutter release lever to the power control rod at the top right corner of the housing. Anyone else have this issue?

The same thing happened with my Ikelite for N90 a few years ago. Since I was living in Brazil at the time it would take months to send it back to Ikelite (not to speak about fights with customs agents), so I decided to keep using it. Nothing happened during many dives, the cracks apparently were just superficial, but the housing leaked during a deep dive (50+m) and I discovered it was because of a crack developing close to an o-ring.

I think that sending it back to Ikelite is the most appropriate thing to do, and I would have done so if I lived in the US at the time.

Luiz

Whatever the cause of the crack, returning the housing directly to Ikelite will correct the issue. As has been stated many times on this forum, Ikelite is an extraordinarily ethical and service-oriented company, and no doubt will have the housing back to you before your next trip.

Well, my housing came back today......happy happy joy joy......

I would like to be the latest to jump on the Ikelite bandwagon for their excellent customer service. The front of my housing was replaced, controls adjusted, water pressure tested and shipped back to me in four days.

When Stephen said they were a service-oriented company, this is truly what was meant!

Ok, let's all warm up our voices for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya now.....

Colin.

I want to reiterate the service ethic of Ikelite, which is phenomenal. I have bought a lot of products from them over the years and I am one of those folk who is getting the latest greatest gadget and generally pushing Ikelite to get me something to work with it as I'm going out the door.

I could regail you with several stories of great customer service.

The latest is that my D70 housing developed a leak that fried the electronics that allow the strobe and camera to talk to each other but didn't harm the camera. That forced me to use magic filters more than I planned on the trip (which made me fall in love with magic filters). I fixed the problem where the leak occurred so I could dive sans flash. But of course there are many situations where I really wanted to have a flash (macro, etc). Anyhow, Ike got me a replacement housing on Little Cayman in 2 days. The folk on LC wanted to know what pull I had to get something FEDEXed down there in such a short times (customs musta had a good day).

I've said this before: If every company had the customer ethic of Ikelite the world would be a better place.

Lemme add that Stephen Frink is a great guy, too! :) And not a bad photographer!

Steve

Sponsors

Advertisements