dawktah

Ikelite Port for Canon 24-105mm

Hello!

Since this lens is not on the port chart on Ikelite page, can it work with a port, and if so which one? I'm concerned about the change in length at full zoom. This lens has the following specs: Max. Diameter x Max. Length - 3.3 in. x 4.2 in. 83.5mm x 107mm. The lens changes almost 1.4" in length. What about 8" dome, if it ever becomes available? It has the same diameter as my 24mm f/1.4 so diameter is O.K.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also, any course recommendations? Any advantages of one over another?

--Chris

This is not a lens that you can/should use underwater. For several reasons:

First. The lens has a very large diameter and you have an Ikelite housing. There is a chance that the diameter is so big that the lens will physically not fit in the port. 3.3" is the maximum diameter a lens can be and fit in the port at all. But it is a squeeze and not every 3.3" lenses will fit. Even if you fit it in the port it is extremely unlikely that you will be able to access the zoom in an ikelite housing. According to Ikelite's port chart maximum diameter that will allow zoom is 2.8".

Second. Because the lens grows so much when it zooms. Even if you could find a port that would allow you to zoom. Any port configuration that is short enough that it does not vignette when the lens is at 24mm will be too short and the lens will crash into it when you zoom in. If you get a port long enough that the lens will fit into at 105mm. When you zoom out to 24mm the lens will be back in the neck of the port and the and you will see the neck of the port in the picture. So inless someone invents a port that can grow as you zoom the lens, this lens will never work underwater.

But it is not that big of a deal that this will be impossible to house. Even if you got it to work, it is not a very usefull lens on a crop factor camera. The focal length(24mm= ~40mm) disqualifies it as WA lens on a crop camera. And the min focus distance is to long to make it a usefull macro lens. So this lens really has no purpose underwater.

Chris,

I'm assuming you're using planning on using a zoom with your Rebels and not a 5D. I personally use the EF28-105 F3.5-4.5 (not the 3.5-5.6!) zoom in my Subal C10. However, I use it behind a flat port and not a dome. Due to the crop factor of the 10D, the effective focal length of the lens is 45-168. I use the Subal port meant for the EF50 f2.5 Macro. While the lens isn't as sharp as a dedicated prime, it does give greater flexibility. I've made 20x30 prints from 10D files using this lens that are simply stunning. Just remember to stop down to f8 or more.

However, if you plan on using a 5D, then a zoom lens with this range will have the problems as described by William.

Stu

Thanks!

I'll just stick to using as a terrestrial lens. I was trying not to buy yet another lens, since my EF-S lenses will be on Ebay after I move to 5D. Looks like I will be real proficient with 24mm f/1.4 :)

Hello!

Since this lens is not on the port chart on Ikelite page, can it work with a port, and if so which one? I'm concerned about the change in length at full zoom. This lens has the following specs: Max. Diameter x Max. Length - 3.3 in. x 4.2 in. 83.5mm x 107mm. The lens changes almost 1.4" in length. What about 8" dome, if it ever becomes available? It has the same diameter as my 24mm f/1.4 so diameter is O.K.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also, any course recommendations? Any advantages of one over another?

--Chris

Hi,

please i want to buy the lens 1.4/24 L Canon but i'd like to know what sort of port i have to use with my dome 8" ?

I"ve got the 5510.16 IKELITE.

Thank you for your help.

Sponsors

Advertisements