Sign in to follow this  
Scuba_SI

Gates Sony FX1, optically best??

Hi Guys,

Im about to invest my cash on something which im not 100% sure about!!

Im looking at the Sony HDR-Z1, and i think the Gates housing. From what i have heard and seen the Amphibico housing has Vignetting issues. I dont know anything about the newer L&M line, but dont really fancy that one anyway!

Does the Gates have vignetting issues for any of its ports??

What are the Field of Views for the different ports (Ithink the SWP44 is 120) but what about the wp44 - does it exist....

Does anyone have one of these rigs.. Would i be better going for a D2x for now and looking at video in a few months?

Help!

Simon

Nexus D70

Amphibico VX2000

Subal N90

Subal N8008

Well the specs for the SWP44 (fathoms lens) was either 117 or 107°. I forget now since I was told back in Oct last year. There is no vignetting on that lens. But there is light fall off which you will see in some circumstances, esp when boosting gain.

I am not sure about the WP44 or their standard port. I only saw the housing in DEMA. Looks well made but BIG!

The L&M Bluefin is shipping but they like amphibico have no SWA lens available yet. I had the Phenom for about 2 weeks before I sold it to a friend because I don't want the vignette.

My suggestion, check out the Panasonic HVX200 which should be all ready by April with storage and housings. The PAL version is out by march.

Thanks Dru,

Looks a little on the expensive side, but like the 60fps, would be excellent for behavioral stuff. However, Panasonic, not sure if i trust them enough for a 15000US investment. I'd probably have to buy about 2tb storage, as im working in the industry, so would be using it everyday. I think Veitch has the right idea (im never going to hear the end of that am i Mike :) ) with the Sony and storing the tapes, using SD for now.

I think your recommendation is a very good one, but probably not the right one for me as working on boats tends to kill solid state cards and HDD's

Let me know what its like when you try it out!!

Simon

Simon

Pana's broadcast division is the basis of many TV shows, so they are trustworthy in that sense. My biggest peeve about HDV right now is increased drop outs.

With the P2 and HDD, the chances of drop outs are much lower. I'm not sure vibrations from a boat will even phase a memory card. I've been on very long runs (3+ hours) on a RIB in really rough seas and my cards have held up better than me! The HDD may be more susceptible but nothing better storage for the trip will do. For 720P at 60P in DVCPro HD...I'm game to try.

I've tried the NTSC version out which is why I like it a lot. It's not perfect but getting 4:2:2 color HD in a package less than $6k isn't something to sneeze at.

Whats this MExico in a week bit?

ANd Seaman....you always were a little slow in believing i am always right... :)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements