huguito

Dark prints. Epson 2400

PLease help!!!!

I'm trying to avoid taking my epson 2400 to the middle of the stret to run my car over it few times in frustration.

I have downloaded the profiles from Epson and my monitor is calibrated no more than a week ago.

In Print with Preview I havr chosen "Let Photoshop Determine colors", Chosen the profile from the list "Premium semigloss Photo RPM icc" and the option of "Relative Colorimetric"

In the folowing screen confirm the same type of paper and press the Advanced button.

IN the advanced screen chosen ICM and check the box for "No color adjustement"

My prints are very dark and muddy.

The gren shades in a fresh leaf are almost black

What am I doing wrong?

Hugo

HI Hugo,

I get the same problems with my Epson (different model) and it also drives me nuts!!!!

What i was doing was printing through Windows and getting massively horrible prints. Soooo, what i have done to fix is now i only print directly through Photoshop as opposed to "Print this Photo" in explorer.

For some reason this works and prints a great pic. Really have no idea why this makes a diff but give it a shot and see if it works for you. I would suggest starting with 4x6

Mike

Hi Hugo, I cant immediately see whats going wrong. It could be anything really. I'll tell you exactly what steps I take, but take into account I mostly use the Epson Premium Glossy A4 paper.

Like you i start with 'print with preview' in Photoshop CS2. I set 'Color Management' to 'Document', which for me is always Adobe RGB. I set: "Let Photoshop determine color", the correct Printer Profile which for me is "SPR2400 PremiumGlossy", "Relative Colorimetric". Then I click "Print".

In the "print" window, I choose the right Printer, and click "Properties".

I do this because for some reason the Properties sometimes get changed for no apparent reason.

In the Epson 2400 Properties screen I set:

"Sheet", the right paper, which I believe is "Premium Glossy Photo Paper" (sorry, have matte installed right now and I cant see them), "Best Photo". I turn high speed off. Color Management on ICM, ICM profile off. Then I click "OK", and then "OK" again in the printer screen.

This gives me extremely nice prints.

In your case, have you tried using "SPR2400 PremSmgls BstPhoto.icc" and then in the 2400 properties choose "Premium SemiGloss Photo Paper" and "Photo RPM"?

Regards,

Cor

Hi Cor

Thanks for the reply

I have tried using different Epson apers along with the Epson icc profiles matched to the print quality ( RPM, Best photo and photo)

The results are consistently darker.

I will try to re-calibrate and start from square one again.

Hugo

I'm having the same problem with a different Epson printers. I calibrate my screen regularly, use the right profiles and options too, but keep getting dark prints on CS2. Funnily enough, this doesn't happen with CS, with which prints come out exactly as what's on the screen. Now, that's really weird, isn't it?

I just got a R2400 and have it set up like Cor describes and I'm getting unbelieveable prints at 13 x19 .... I'm using premium luster paper and the corresponding ICC profile downloaded from Epson

Karl

I suspect the calibration made with my Spyder was inconsistent. The screen look very bright even when the calibration was finished.

I went to FRY's and got a Monaco XR. Run a monitor calibration and the first print off the 2400 was just beautiful. Subtle tonal gradations and color fidelity.

Tried the icc premiun profile without color management and with color management with a slight tone adjustement. Is just pretty.

As an added benefit the Monaco can be used to profile printer and scanner as well. Comes with a target.

Just $80 more than the Spyder.

Thanks

Hugo

Which spyder do you have? I have a spyder2, but it came with older software. Online you can download newer and better software. Also, if you have an LCD, reset your LCD to factory default and tell the spyder software that you have no controls. When I was trying to calibrate my LCD I tried the RGB controls method, but it never turned out satisfactory. I contacted support, and they gave me that advice which fixed any calibration trouble I had.

Cor

I had the Spyder 2

The cost of the original Spyder 2 was aprox $170

The cost of the new Monaco XR was $260, and comes with a target you can use after calibration of your monitor to profile your printer and your scanner.

If you factor how much money you spend in paper and ink is cheaper.

If you account frustration/enjoyment ratio is priceless.

Hugo

I'm having the same dark issues with mine. I have tried Cors photoshop tips above. Anyone resolve this issue?? Mark

I'm having the same dark issues with mine. I have tried Cors photoshop tips above. Anyone resolve this issue?? Mark

Hello Mark,

I had the same problem with mine Epson R1800 (unespected dark prints) but now it's ok as I followed "cor" advices.

By the way many thanks to you "cor" for your help. :)

Sponsors

Advertisements