famorim

EF-S 10-22mm + Aquatica 8"

Hi,

I have seen a lot of images from Canon EF-S 10-22mm behind Aquatica 8" dome and the most picts has a soft corners. I made myself tests with this lens with the set recommended by Aquatica and the result was the same when used wide until 14mm, BAD corner quality.

Does anybody try another extension ring to 10-22mm ? did you get any good results ?

Regards.Fabio

How many mm long is the extension ring you are using now?

Cheers

James

Hi James,

I've used #18453 extension ring that are 28,55mm long. The curious is that the Aquatica port chart aways recommend the same extension ring for EF-S 17-85mm. It looks like wrong to me.

Thanks.Fabio

This has been covered in previous threads, but the correct extension ring for the 10-22 lens is 18461. A +2 diopter lens will also help with your corner softness. I'd try the +2 diopter lens before replacing the extension ring.

This cracks me up.......

Even with the 8" dome ports people DEMANDED we have UW photographers using varying extension rings pushing the port out, pulling the port closer......Then there's the NO diopter, +2, +4, + ZERO or whatever additional debate. Some people who scream bloody murder on using ANY diopter preach it's use as a holy grail behind a large 8" dome port!

All this for the CORNERS of your photos? The sharpest zoom lenses made used behind any port underwater will NEVER be 100% sharp in corners due to a constantly moving nodal point.

Sheesh, if you like your nice zoom lens more than fixed wide angle rectilinear lens or fisheye use the crop tool in post processing :)

Sure is a lot easier!

dhaas

Sorry for the RANT :) Too much caffeine today!!!!

dhaas

Sorry for the RANT :lol: Too much caffeine today!!!!

Gee David, I sure hope you feel better now that you've got this out of your system. Looks like you were about ready to pop! :)

I don't think anybody is looking for (or demanding) 100% corner to corner sharpness. Fabio simply asked if there was a different configuration (port or extension) that would improve his results, and apparently there is.

Easy..easy..easy Dhaas.. calm down .. hehehe..

I know that zoom lenses will never delivery the same quality than primes and also know about nodal point and zoom lenses, but we are aways looking for better quality or the right usage of our equipments. My Sigma 15mm FE aways will be better than 10-22mm.

The point is that results using the extension ring recommend by Aquatica doesn't delivery the acceptable quality for my eyes. I'll try the extension ring sugested by Dave.

Thanks for all. Fabio

Luis, Dave and of course Fabio.......

Sorry if my post comes across as fanatical :lol: I just have read so many debates on this and know most housing manufacturers try very hard to give photographers solutions they'll be happy with. But it's darn hard to guess what lenses an UW photographer will choose between. Possibly a camera's brand name lens, an after market lens, an old manual focus Zeiss or Leica from GrandPa's closet, etc.

ARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

There will be no final fix as the physics of domes, moving nodal points on popular zooms lenses, etc. create a morass of optical problems IMHO.

In this marvelous digital world I think the edge sharpness debate takes up valuable space and good discussion on what makes a photograph great. Which again is a subjective matter.....We all recognize IMPACT in a photo that makes us look once, twice, again, etc. A photo like this is rarely degraded by corner sharpness. Some of the most stunning photos ever taken have a very small amount IN FOCUS!

No worries, all is well now :) My calm is restored......

dhaas

Hi Dave, I completely agree with you, the issue will not be easily corrected, and a great picture is a great picture, doesn't matter if the corners are sharp or not. Also, there are many ways to avoid (or hide) corner softness just by playing with the composition.

However, I think there are a few shots where the corners are important (or distracting if soft) and, as I said before, if there is a way to go from really bad to marginally acceptable, why not try it? This is also the beauty of the digital world, you won't waste any film for trying it. :)

Sponsors

Advertisements