dhaas

Fixed Prime Use on FF Sensors

Amigos,

Has anyone here actually shot the following prime lenses on a FF (full frame) sensor dSLR? Especially since the Canon 5D made its debut? Above or below shooting, personal experience is what I'm looking for.......

Canon 24mm F1.4L

Canon 24mm F2.8

Canon 20mm F2.8

Tried to do a search in the archives :( All posts I found discussed Fisheye lenses versus numerous rectilinear zooms, but came up with nothing specific on these lenses.

Ideas or Feedback?

dhaas

P.S. - I DID find one post from Paul in the UK on why he chooses primes on his EOS 1DS MKII I think........

David -

I think Eric was/is shooting one of the 24mm lenses on his 1D...try PMing him...

Matt,

Already asked Eric and James W.

Not sure what Eric is shooting these days on his EOS 1DS MKII (?????) Hoped he'd share here for others contemplating FF Canon moves :(

dhaas

David. I didn't really address the prime on FF part in my reply to your most recent email. So I'll answer here.

I have no zooms. I like primes because they give you purpose. You know the decide what you want to shoot, you take the right the lens for the job. Underwater I use 15FE, 28/2.8, 50/1.4, and 150/2.8.

Both the 28 and 50 require a diopter to work behind Ike's 6" dome.(cause of bad corners in the pictures in my housing review) But once I figured that out I am very happy with them both.

I haven't used any of the lenses you mentioned because I already had the 15FE and decided I wanted something less wide for my longer WA lens .

If the situation calls for UWA I would always reach for the 15 over a 20mm prime. The times when I don't want to use the FE I want something less wide.

So I was looking at the 28 and 35mm focal lengths.

I went with the 28/2.8 because I was kinda already over budget and I got it for a good deal.

I like the focal length. Wide enough but far enough from the FE to give it a different purpose. If I had another $1000 to spend I would probably go with the 35/1.4

What did you need to know? I just picked up my 5D and I have the 24mm f/1.4 Will not be diving with it for quite a while. Will have a lot of terrestrial photos.

I have and use both the 24/1.4 and 20/2.8.

Out of the two I have so far found the often rather poorly rated 20/2.8 to work very well underwater but am still experimenting with domes for the 24/1.4. This is because I have only just started using the more compact Seacam dome which is very good on the 20/2.8. It is also recommended for the 24/1.4 and I will try this lens behind it soon. As you might expect the 24/1.4 shows some corner softness at wider apertures when used very close. I reckon that for underwater use the 20 is a better bet as it is far cheaper and works well enough and the real advantageof the 24/1.4 is the amazingly bright viewfinder image. Paradoxically, the 20/2.8 shows marginally soft corners if used behind a pola filter on land but is little wors underwater.

I should stress that the softness is never really bad and is about the same as I used to get with the Nikon 20/2.8 on film underwater.

Amigos,

Thanks for your input. dawktah, I just wondered if your images on FF are as good as I've read a few other places with the 24mm F1.4L glass. Especially since this lens is pricey.....

Paul reiterates what I recall from using fixed 20mm Canon and Nikon lenses behind dome ports. Once you find a sweet dome and don't try to shoot wide open or other forced perspective that will limit edge sharpness these tools can be very useful.

My only thought process is 20mm F2.8 versus 24mm F1.4L. Hmmmmm.......Maybe I can shoot 24mm as my "standard" wide view above and below. Only going to the 15mm Fisheye for special situations :(

Thanks for all your tips, guys.

dhaas

Perhaps I should add that the 24/1.4 is an absolutely stunning lens above water! I use it for low light level work where flash is not an option and it is simply superb when used wide-open.

Unfortunately dome optics would make it very difficult to use wide open underwater.

If I can ever afford them, I'd love to add 35/1.4, 85/1.2 and 135/2 lenses into my collection; but all are L and expensive.

Sponsors

Advertisements