Sign in to follow this  
Fezziwig

Question on Digital Camcorder Purchase

I've been thinking about getting a digital camcorder for a variety of uses and I was hoping some of you could suggest a model or two to look at. As a novice digital SLR camera operator I'd also like the camcorder to have housings available for it in case I'd want to take it underwater. I also plan to use it on land, particularly to film my band's gigs at various indoor venues that have medium to low light conditions (generally filming from a darkened audience on to a lit stage), for website video clips, so I'd like it to have decent audio on board as well. Any suggestions? I've been considering the Sony PC1000 or Panasonic PV-GS400 - would that be a good choice?

I was concerned on the Sony PC1000 with the lack of microphone input. For recording band gigs, I'd like to get a decent small stereo mic to put out in front the camera to record the band. Any suggestions on a mic as well?

Finally, I don't know much about video editing software. For the basic task of making clips for a website, what kind of software can I get? Does the camera come with software to handle that task? Thanks!

Hi Fezzi

Sorry, i don't know a lot about the particular cameras you are looking at.

However, i would always suggest Sony over other brands for future UW work. Sony is by far the largest manufacturer supported by housing manufacturers. The PC 1000 is a very good selling option as well and is a 3 chip camera so that means good colour (not familiar with the Pany so not sure about that) Very few housing manufacturers support Pany so your options would be limited there.

I would suggest a search on the Ikelite site to find out if they support that model if you are seriously interested in going UW. Ike seems to support the widest variety of models.

With software i would suggest something fairly basic but with plenty of upgrade options and the ability to produce a nice product.

Pinnacle Studio is a good option, version 9 is well thought of whereas 10 is new and still working out some patches.

I don't believe any cameras come with editing software unless you buy from somewhere that offers it independently.

If you are using Mac then the iMovie is a great tool

M

If sound quality is an important factor you may wish to consider the Sony A1U HD camcorder. It's the professional version of the Sony HC1. Both Gates and Light & Motion (and most likely other's I'm not aware of) offer housings for this camcorder. However, the Gates housing offers more control options.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements