pmooney

Canon 5D Full Frame -who's thinking to shift camps

Alex,

would be interesting to know what dioptre strength you use?

Julian

The Canon focusses very fast - due to both internal motor and internal focussing (it has a lightweight optical system which is moved by the motor - the lens does not change its external dimensions as it is focussed), but can be a bit picky and will sometimes hunt - there's been discussion about this before on wetpixel, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is simply too fast for its own good under the low contrast conditions often prevalent underwater. It is optically superb!!!

I had this problem with the 100mm on my D60, but it was reduced on the 20D, and since moving to the 5D I haven't noticed the problem of the 100mm "hunting" like it did on the cropped sensor cameras.

and the 5D is a fantastic camera - I'll try and post some high ISO filter shots I took if I get some time, but it's definitly a great tool for this.

I did just try a 20D with a 50mm Sigma lens and a D70 with a 50mm nikkor lense and saw no appreciable difference in autofocus speed.

I also tried a 105mm in the D70 vs a 105 sigma in the 20D and I think I got a closer focusing distance, hence able to fill frame better with a small object - the top of my house key.

Also, the 50 on the nikon seemed to give me a bigger object than the sigma 105, but of course I had to get a lot closer with the 50.

Sorry, I guess we are off topic here, but maybe we need a beginers forum for lenses.

- Beth

Sponsors

Advertisements