CeeDave

Ike iTTL as a manual controller?

Any experience and comments with using this as simply a manual controller -- it's nice that it's on camera, under that "free" left thumb ... and could control 2 strobes simultaneously. If you've tried it, what do you think?

Thanks.

Chris

Chris, it's great.....you can get rid of the clutter of the manual controllers and quickly reach the buttons for variable manual power adjustments.....plus you can use iTTL for macro :):rolleyes:

The only negative is that you can't control the strobes separately...you'll have to adjust distance to vary the output on the subject

Karl

Karl,

Thanks!

So, the strobes always stay on TTL setting? And if the Ike iTTL module is set to "M", then it is "really" still on TTL and is quenching (or not) that way? Will the strobes not fire, or fire at the wrong power, if they are set (on the strobe) to a manual setting when connected to the Ike iTTL module? ...this seems plausible to me, but any actual knowledge would be appreciated ...

I'd figured one would have to use distance a/o diffusers to handle differential power settings (which is too advanced for me, just yet, anyway).

And I am not too proud to shoot iTTL (especially macro)... shucks, I use A or S (with EV comp) rather than M most of the time, so I am already unclean...I draw the line, and don't use P subaqua, though.

All the best,

Chris

Chris, I use manual exclusively because I'm very comfortable with my results but my wife uses iTTL for macro and gets great results. If it available and it works, why not use it? You can spend more time working on composition :):rolleyes:

The strobes are set to TTL, but when you switch the iTTL module to manual, the buttons become manual power settings for the strobes...iTTL has nothing to do with the output when in manual mode

I don't think you can set the strobes differently while using the iTTL module in either mode....maybe Ike can clarify?

Karl

When the housing controller is set to manual and the strobes to TTL, the housing performs the same function as the seperate manual controllers. It works great and it's what I use for most of my wide angle shots

However, if you are using DS 125s, and you want different power settings for each strobe, the manual settings on the strobes still work. So you can set one strobe to TTL and control it from the housing and set the other one, not to TTL but to some other setting e.g. 1/4 or 1/8 for light fill.

Hi Chris.

The manual setting is great.

I use my DS 125 in TTL but if I use my DS125 and my 200 the maanual setting let me use both strobes and have control from the housing.

You can further adjust limiting the output lowering the strobe from full to 1/2 or 1/4, etc...

Just play with it in a dim lit room until you have a feel for it.

Hugo

All,

Thanks for the great info -- I will do the upgrade.

Chris

Sponsors

Advertisements