korenm

TTL and D70 housings

I've been using a Nikonos V up till now, and normally use TTL with reasonable results.

Now I'm looking at getting a housing for my D70s, and I'm confused about what I can get that will enable me to use TTL. Is there any combination, apart from Ikelite housing and strobes, that will let me use TTL?

If I did use manual settings, would I be able to continue to use my existing strobes (Substrobe 150 and Substrobe MV)? Would I need different cords/controller box/etc?

Finally, a more general question. Why do most people seem to use manual rather than TTL with housed dSLRs? Is it just because there isn't much equipment available that will let you shoot TTL, or are the results actually better?

Cheers, Koren

Hi Koren,

Seacam housings allow you to use the TTL functionality of some strobes. There are certainly other housings that support TTL, and other members will likely chip in...

There is no issue if you wish to keep using your older strobes and use them in manual mode. I'm using the SS200 and the MV with no problems.

Now, as to the reason why people generally use manual over TTL on dSLRs, the answer probably varies from one person to the next, but will likely fall into one of the following:

- TTL restricts your creativity. By shooting manual, you can adjust the power of your strobes to achieve precisely the image you want.

- TTL may simply not be available for the combination of housing and strobes they own.

- With the instant feedback given by the LCD on a dSLR, it is possible to adjust strobe output if you're not pleased with your results the first time round (assuming your subject is cooperative, of course :P )

Cheers,

Mat

The Ikelite system is probably the easiest way to get TTL. If you use a housed Nikon strobe then you can get TTL with any housing. Or alternatively several of the European strobe manufacturers (Subtronic, Seacam) offer D70 TTL compatible strobes.

You can read more about photographers musings on the need for TTL with digital SLRs here:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6199

And here:

http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/the-trouble-with-ttl/

Alex

Using the Heinrichs Weikamp circuitry we can add iTTL for Nikon or eTTL for Canon to most any housing. This can be done when the housing is purchased or to a housing you already own. Contact us privately for pricing and other information.

Sponsors

Advertisements