james

Retrieving the ROV

The Union Manta is a large anchor handling and multi-service deepwater vessel. It is capable of lifting and setting suction anchors in deepwater, doing misc ROV work, and pushing large vessels as a tug.

Here is a photo of the vessel with the ROV and the Launch and Recovery System (LARS) in action:

KN0X9684.jpg

And here is the ROV coming out of the water:

KN0X9676.jpg

The large "A" frame on the back is for launching large items over the stern of the vessel.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Cheers

James

James,

I remember watching one of these uber-riggers re-anchor a barge next to a semisubmersible drilling rig after a very violent thunderstorm had worked the barge out of position (Viosca Knoll). It was an awesome demonstration of mechanical power and human ingenuity, in the face of even more awesome weather. But that was when I was supervising well tests rather than thinking about them...

Great images ... made me want to get my hard hat outa the closet.

Chris

Did you see any aliens? :P The History Channel had a special on aliens that live in our seas. I thought that was interesting.

Joe

It is interesting to see shots of the recovery from the rig. Normally all the shots are taken from the vessel itself - but these are nice because they show the scene from the outside. Very cool.

Alex

I thought I'd join in the fun too. Mainly plankton related stuff coming back on board! Holding a camera is a great to avoid the hard graft at times like these. :P

Alex

post-713-1138201021_thumb.jpg

post-713-1138201036_thumb.jpg

post-713-1138201048_thumb.jpg

Sponsors

Advertisements