Matti

Palau January 2006

Hi There,

I have just return from a trip overseas to Japan, Palau and Chuuck Lagoon , and I have spent the last two days going through photos taken on the trip and I have only just managed to go through the ones from Palau :) though it was worth the effort :P . I am just not looking forward to going through the rest <_< . The trip was a big learning curve as it was my first real time with the new camera gear (Canon D20,Canon 10-22mm EF-S lens, Canon 100mm Macro, Ikelite Housing and 2 xIkelite DS125 strobe) as my old camera died.

Matti :D

http://matti.proimageguide.com/layout/0001...y_view.cfm?g=72

Fantastic photos!

100,101 and 107 (love that cave) all have me itching to go.

Matti,

Nice shots from Palau, I was just there recently myself.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you find the 100mm with the 20D? I've currently got the 60mm EF-S which also does 1:1 (you have to be close though), and am on the edge of deciding whether to add the 100mm to my collection.

Specifically I am wondering if 100mm might be too long, such that little movements in the camera will result in changes to frame composition.

thanks in advance, damien

Great gallery, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the memories Matti,

Went there in 2002. Fantastic. :blink:

I remember my buddy on being told we were off to 'Jellyfish lake' packing 3 tubs of icecream and two spoons... "TWAT" :angry:

Cheers again

Dive safe

Dean (look at what we're missing) B

Specifically I am wondering if 100mm might be too long, such that little movements in the camera will result in changes to frame composition.

thanks in advance, damien

First of all, great job, Matti! Really shows some of the potential of the 20D...and it was your first dive trip with it!

Damien - the 100mm is definitely NOT too long. With the 20D's 1.6X crop factor, it acts like a 160mm, so you can shoot "super macro", and it is a GREAT lens, as long as you have decent light (which you certainly should most of the time Down Under!). Don't worry about it making composition difficult; it really doesn't. It's only drawback IMHO is in low light situations, where it sometimes has a hard time with AF ("hunts" a lot). You can solve that by using a manual focus ring, switching the AF function from the shutter (half-press) to the * button, and using AF only to get "in the neighborhood" of focus, and then use MF to fine tune it. That will NOT be necessary in nice daylight -- only late afternoon, night dives, etc. In short, the 100mm lens is easy to get used to, is a great, fast-focusing lens, and is quite affordable. You WON'T be sorry if you get one...in fact, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it! :angry:

Bruce,

thanks for you comments. I've defaintely decided to get the lense, though after your comments I am wondering if I should get the standard Ikelite port lens or the one with manual focus capabilities.

Ikelite port for 100m macor with MF

From what you said about the "hunting", I think it might be wise to get the MF port over the basic port with no MF.

Unfortunately, not all Australian water conditions are as good as the barrier reef. Namely Sydney conditions can get a bit murky at times (10m viz approx). I have a Fisheye focus light and have no issues with the 60m EF-S at all (it can hunt a tiny bit in low light conditions), though if performs as good as the 60mm I see no point in the MF port.

Thanks for the advice, damien

Thanks for all the comments, the split shots at Chandlier cave were a bit of a challenge due to camera weight as it raised out of the water would caused me to be submerged and not being able to use the view finder, so a number of shots had to be taken with a quick review after each shoot to see if worked.

As for the 100mm macro, pretty much ditto with Bruce's comments, though it can also hunt if there isn't enough contrast (blue fish blue background or if the intial subject matter is small). In these cases I would focus on something with greater contrast at the same or close to the same distance and then move the camera.

With the photos taken in Palau and Chuuk I was using the TTL function of the Ikelite housing (I didn't want to try everything at once as it was a big change from the P10) so my next challenge is to go over to manual control over the strobe.

Matti

Matti,

Do you have the manual focus Ikelite port lense, or just the standard one?

Any recommendations or which to get?

thanks, ds

...I am wondering if I should get the standard Ikelite port lens or the one with manual focus capabilities.

Ikelite port for 100m macor with MF

From what you said about the "hunting", I think it might be wise to get the MF port over the basic port with no MF.

DEFINITELY get the port with MF capability! As good as the 100mm lens is (look at the recent post with dragon wrasses), it will hunt a LOT more than your 60mm in low light and/or murky water. Far better to have the MF capabilities and not use them than to not have them when you need them! And like I said, if you switch your AF to the * button (one of the 20D's custom functions), I bet you'll never go back...

Nice stuff. Cannot wait to take my next warm water adventure. I like the clownfish....nice lighting.

Joe

Sponsors

Advertisements