Water Rat

Strobe position

Hi I’m new to uw photography and I have some practical questions. These might sound like some pretty stupid questions but I hope you will bear with me...

I have bought an Ikelite Housing for my Nikon and an Ikelite strobe. When I set up my configuration above water, my strobe arms struggle to hold the weight of the strobe (When I use a two arm extension). I have the strobe positioned one arm out to the right and one arm up (in a reverse L-shape). I use ball- jointed arms.

So my question is do you usually set up your strobe arms on land in the position you expect to use them under water or do you just attach them to the housing so the sit comfortably over water and then alter them under water?

I always set up my housing as compact as possible above water and dont unfold the arms until im under water. Those arms arent supposed to be holding the weight of a strobe like that above water anyways.

Cor

I use a velcro cord wrap, which is attached to one arm and can wrap around both arms. This keeps the arms stable, above the hsg, and is easily released underwater. This works even better for "cutout truss" arms like UL or TLC, which better anchor the velcro wrap along the arm. This makes the crossed arms a fairly secure handle for the camera, as well -- though the handles bolted to the tray are of course even more secure.

Sorry, I can't send a picture -- hsg in the shop right now.

Chris

HI,

I second the way Cor has his set up I also keep everything

as compact as posible, until I get under the water, then the

water will help to surport the strobe & housing as it doe's

with most set ups.

Hope you find this useful,

Andy. :D:D :ph34r: :ph34r:

Thank you all for your replies. They were most helpful. Now I’m ready to go out and try my setup under the surface.

Chris – I would love to see a picture of your setup sometime when you get it back from the shop!

Sincerely

Laurits Thomsen :D

Will do. The housing is updated, but they are waiting until the strobes are fixed (or one may be junked). So a couple of weeks? Feel free to prompt me if I haven't posted in a month!

All the best,

Chris

Sponsors

Advertisements