james

1DmkII or 5D

Hi Gang,

To make a long story short, my Seacam housing and other misc photo gear was stolen from my home on Chirstmas Eve. I was lucky that I'd taken my 1DmkII and some lenses home to the relatives for Christmas, and my Seacam viewfinder wasn't stolen, nor was my Seacam macro port, gears, and ext. rings.

If and when I get an insurance settlement for the gear, I'm planning to jump back in, but I'm wondering, should I get a 5D for underwater use? The new Seacam housing for the 5D looks very nice, and it's considerably smaller than the 1D series setup.

Some pros for the 5D vs the 1DmkII are: more megapixels, smaller size, and presumably lower price.

Some cons for the 5D are: I won't be able to upgrade to a 1DsMKII later and use the same housing. The 5D is not weather sealed, the battery doesn't last as long, and it doesn't shoot 8 frames/second (not as useful underwater I'll admit).

So, if you were me, what would you do?

Cheers

James

Hi James,

If it was me I would go with the 5D just for the size. I like more compact cameras for traveling. I think that if I was buying today I would probably get a D200 instead of the D2x just because of the size. And I must confess that I did think about jumping to the Canon camp and getting a 5D, but boy I love that D2x and wouldn't trade it for anything now, not even a D200. But if I was starting from scratch I would think differently.

Luiz

You'll have a 180 degree fisheye with the 5D. I'd get the 5D just on that factor.

I would ask yourself what trips you have coming up?

If are doing predominantly macro, I'd go for the 1D Mk2 as it has better AF and the crop will be useful.

If it will be mainly wide angle, then you might want to look at the 5D. Also if you are doing filter photography the 5D is an exciting choice because of its excellent high ISO noise control.

Alex

That's a tough one. I'm lusting after a 5D for the larger viewfinder, but the seacam housings are a fortune and there seems like a much better chance you would be able to use the 1DII housing down the line. (On the other hand, the 5D may not become obselete very quickly.)

I'd echo Luiz's views there. I was going to wait for the D200 when I bought my D2X - the d200 had already been announced. In the end it was Paul Kay's fault for having a Seacam housing on the shelf :D at exactly the right time, and me having an imminent trip. However, having used small pro bodies in the past because of the size advantages (F100 and EOS 5F), I can honestly say that I'm chuffed to bits with the D2 and don't think I'd go back to a small body now. It's performance and ergonomics (both of the camera and housing) totally outweigh the size and weight disadvantages.

But if I was in your shoes James, I'd think I'd probably go for a used EOS 1DS mk 1 rather than a 1D Mk2 - there must be a lot available at a bargain price

Steve

Hi Guys,

Wow, some great feedback so far. The pixels in the 5D are the same size as the 1DmkII and noise performance is about the same for both cameras. The AF on the 1DmkII is way way better.

For upcoming trips, my next is a wideangle trip - the Wetpixel Bahamas 2006 trip in March.

FF goodness would be great, but I found that I was using between 20mm and 24mm (35mm equivalent) on the trip last year.

Steve, I made the 1DmkII vs 1Ds decision last year and I decided to get the mkII. It's a much newer and faster responding camera, has MUCH better noise performance, and the 1.25x crop isn't that bad. In fact, the 15mm fisheye on the mkII is a GREAT combo.

Please keep the comments coming.

Cheers

James

James,

Bummer! Why would they take your housing and not the ports? I thought we were all only to avoid San Juan, but now Houston, too? Just kidding, as your stituation is something would really tick me off :D Any of Sarah's Ikelite stuff taken?

In any event, after using a Canon 5D part of last week in Australia I'd say 5D hands down....8 FPS? When seriously will or have you used that? Weatherproofing? You can practically buy 2 Canon 5D bodies for a bit more and have full frame sensor to use your good L or other glass.....

Plus it's not 4# plus weight to haul around like a 1D body.....

YMMV

dhaas

P.S. - Have to spread serial numbers or other info. to web discussion forums so people can be on the look out for your stuff?

Although starting from scratch I think the 5D is a great camera, for your situation I'd give a slight edge to the 1D MkII (I'd probably spend the little extra and get the "N" version for the better LCD screen and ability to save RAW to one card and JPG to the other).

For one thing, you already have another 1D MkII as a backup body in case of flood or malfunction, whereas you'd need to buy 2 5D bodies to have that same redundancy. Second, the weather sealing on the 1DMkII could be a life saver if any salt water gets splashed around at inopportune moments (I recently fried yet ANOTHER little point & shoot camera when it got damp with salt water on a boat! :D ). Third, as you mentioned, the 1DMkII housing leaves open the opportunity for upgrade to a 1DsMkII with NO housing modifications.

BTW, if/when you DO decide to upgrade to a 1DsMkII, you will already have a backup camera body, but you will also suddenly have a VERY cool system. When you're in situations where you really want a cropped sensor (e.g., super macro), you can use your current 1DMkII. At other times, e.g., when shooting fish or wide angle, you can switch to the 1DsMkII, in both cases with exactly the same housing, lenses and strobes, and only moments to switch back and forth between the two! B)

Edited by bmyates

James - you've had some tough luck of late with cameras. SOrry to hear about your misfortune.

Personally, I'd find it really tough to revert from a flagship camera, but I'd find it equally difficult to give up my 180 fisheye. You picked a camera system with an obvious upgrade path, so why not stick with it. IMO the most important camera features - metering, AF, VF - should be better on the mkII (correct me if I'm wrong about VF). Everything else for me is secondary - even ultimate image quality which is "good enough" in either case. Stay the course (and secure your new kit).

Besides - could you possibly have a 5D housing in hand by March?

FF is overrated. Let's see. You've already got a 1dmkII. Gee, just buy another housing. You can upgrade later to the 1dskzpsmkXIV, but you're going to need a bigger boat.

mh, not an easy decision.

Only thing I throw in here is the fact, that ~ 1.3 crop (or actually a bit less) is somewhere stuck between two worlds, 1.0 and 1.6.. You can’t use APS-C wideangles and you don’t have the entire field of view of full frame lenses. This is something I don’t expect to change in the future. On the other hand, you like the 15mm fisheye on 1.3 crop and some wideangles too. So maybe the crop factor is just right for you. Resolution is not too important, but I think the difference between those cameras is noticeable somewhere. If you intend to use two bodies (one underwater and one topside), I think the weather sealing is good for topside as your future housing will do the sealing job for underwater already :-) However, sealing is always good. ISO 50 feature is good for underwater as well.

Julian

BTW, if/when you DO decide to upgrade to a 1DsMkII, you will already have a backup camera body, but you will also suddenly have a VERY cool system.  When you're in situations where you really want a cropped sensor (e.g., super macro), you can use your current 1DMkII.  At other times, e.g., when shooting fish or wide angle, you can switch to the 1DsMkII, in both cases with exactly the same housing, lenses and strobes, and only moments to switch back and forth between the two!  B)

I don't think anyone would put a 1D Mk II into a housing if a 1Ds Mk II was available. For one thing, the 2x resolution sort of negates the cropped sensor issue. Just crop in software. I speak from experience, as this is exactly my setup. :D (backup 1D Mk II for a 1Ds Mk II).

James,

Bummer to hear about the loss. Maybe it would be an easier decision if they pinched your camera as well. Only because then you would have clean slate ;-). That is what I have right have a clean slate as I sold all of my old FD system last month. I am SLRless for the first time in over 20 years. As such, I am going through some similar questions.

I have to agree with Bruce with his comments. You already have the body and I get the impression that you are thinking about the 1Ds MII so I would go that route. I did not get the feeling that you are thinking about selling your 1D MII and replacing it with the 5D.

The reason I would go the 5D route is that it is a smaller body and it weighs less. This is important if you are going to shoot topside and travel (e.g. schlep your gear yourself). For me I shoot alot in the slot canyons in Utah which means I am carrying everything and where WA is important as well as low light. In addition, if you want to travel and shoot people having a smaller camera makes it less in their face.

I am currently waiting to see what the 30D is all about. I am guessing that it is going to be the "normal" upgrade (2.5" screen, 1.6x Crop, 10Mp). If it were a 1.3x crop I would go for it as it would be smaller than the 5D and lighter. But then it would compete with the 1D MII as well as the 5D and make the EF-S lens owners pissed so I do not see it happening.

Now one other thing to consider. Your insurance. If you have a replacement policy they will obvisouly replace the 1D MII housing one for one less any deductable. However, if you go the 5D route, they will probably give the value of the 1D MII housing. This value will based on the used market as such you will get less. Of course Seacam might send you an offical replacement 1D MII housing and then let you return in order to upgrade to a 5D housing.

Good luck.

So as not to repeat the above comments I'll just add that I have not seen you shooting anything that would require the 8fps. I know I love the 5fps rate on the 20D but I had uses planned for that. That said you can always pick up a used 20D just for topside fps rate should something change going forward also.

I have to admit there have been times when I really wished I had all 180 degress on that fisheye with the 20D for WA.

Just for fun, here is one of the few examples I could find in my own photos of an underwater shot that needs a high frame rate. Hardly an everyday example.

D2_comp1.jpg

Alex

Hi guys, thanks for all the really great input so far.

Since it was Sarah's 20D that was stolen, that's what I'm looking at replacing. I just can't see parting w/ my 1DmkII so I'll probably keep it for topsides use, but if the 5D is as good as I think it is, I'll probably sell the mkII and get a second 5D body.

The price differences can be pretty big if I opt for a 1DsmkII:

5D - $3,000 Seacam Housing - $4,500???? (Guessing)

1DsmkII - $6,500 - Seacam Housing - $5,500

That's a $4,500 difference - a nice dive trip there!

I guess a big factor is the insurance company - I don't have a replacement policy, so I can see an involved "claims resolution process" coming up... Any advice appreciated.

James

James,

Insurance companies work differently. I am not an agent so take what I write with a grain of salt as when I had to file a claim it was based on a replacement policy. However, with one item that I had stolen I asked about "taking the money rather replacing it."

They may take your original price and depreciate it. Say 10% for each year. They may also look for the "blue book" value, e.g what is it worth on the open market and give you that. Because there will probably be a replacement for the 20D later this month I would get some prices on used 20D bodies now. Places, like B&H that might quote you top dollar are good sources.

Just some food for thought for everyone on their insurance. Replacement policies are typically not much more than a standard policy. They are pretty easy to find for homeowners but you can also find them as a renter. Definately worth considering.

Hi Guys,

Yes, I have DEPP, but I only insured my camera and lenses, not the housing. DEPP is very good about replacing gear. I also have a Homeowner's replacement policy for the stuff that was stolen out of my house, but it's much more confusing. They will initially give me a check based on the depreciated value of the stuff stolen. Then, I can go out and buy replacement items. If the items turn out to be more than the depreciated value they paid me to begin with, I get a check for the difference. Thank goodness!!! This is only because I have a special endorsement on my policy (called a 1205 w/ Allstate).

So, I talked to DEPP and I found out that lo and behold, they have modernized a bit, and they do "upgrade" coverage now. For example, rather than them buying me another 20D to replace the one that was stolen, I can send them $1500 and they will send me a 5D instead. This is new information for me and very good news. Used to be that they would just send you a replacement and that's it.

Cheers

James

Hi James,

If it were me, I would keep what I got and get the 1DsII. You might save the $4500 up front going with the 5D but buying any Seacam housing is in my opinon a long term purchase. You already have a backup in the 1DII which is perfect for shooting topside. The image quality on the 1DsII should be good enough to get the most out of your housing for it's life. Also with any luck, Canon will not change the physical size/controls of the sucessor to the 1DsII and your housing will then be an even better value, lasting much longer. Also in your particular situation, you can get the Seacam housing now for the Mark II and be shooting again in short order.

These are the reasons why I went with the 1DII, 1DsII and Seacam combo. It cost two arms and a leg but I know I have a system that I can live with for the long run and for me, get my monies worth out of it. None of this is to knock the 5D but without the weather sealing and focus advantage the Mark II's have and the unknown upgrade path for it's sucsessor to fit in a 5D housing, the Mark II path seems a good one.

Keith

Also with any luck, Canon will not change the physical size/controls of the sucessor to the 1DsII and your housing will then be an even better value, lasting much longer.

For the sake of UW photographers, I hope that you are right, Keith. But my feeling is that this will change. There has been little to criticise about 1D series. The only criticism that comes up regularly is ergonomics. And I think Canon will redress this in the next upgrade. Plus I think they will put a big screen on the back, which will change the positions of all the buttons etc.

Anyway we might find out at PMA?

Alex

For the sake of UW photographers, I hope that you are right, Keith. But my feeling is that this will change. There has been little to criticise about 1D series. The only criticism that comes up regularly is ergonomics. And I think Canon will redress this in the next upgrade. Plus I think they will put a big screen on the back, which will change the positions of all the buttons etc.

If it were only enlarging the screen, they wouldn't necessarily need to modify the body; the IDMkII "N" has a larger screen, yet seems to have kept all the buttons in the same place. OTOH, I think you're right -- they'll do more than JUST enlarge the screen, including finally switching from NiMH to Lithium Ion battery, which I doubt would be exactly the same size and shape as the current batteries. They'll probably try to shrink and lighten the body at least a little to make it easier to handle (above water)...

If it were only enlarging the screen, they wouldn't necessarily need to modify the body; the IDMkII "N" has a larger screen, yet seems to have kept all the buttons in the same place.  OTOH, I think you're right -- they'll do more than JUST enlarge the screen, including finally switching from NiMH to Lithium Ion battery, which I doubt would be exactly the same size and shape as the current batteries.  They'll probably try to shrink and lighten the body at least a little to make it easier to handle (above water)...

Sorry to get off topic a little, but when Canon does update the 1 series body, certainly a lighter/smaller battery, body and revamped menu system is high on most users improvement wish list. I would imagine though that a 1DsIIn would be next, retaining button locations and larger screen.

Keith

Sponsors

Advertisements