james

1DmkII or 5D

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the additional feedback. I've been thinking about the two options a bit and weighing the costs and benefit. I'll probably need to see what my insurance company is going to offer me.

In the meantime, check out this cost list for the two options:

2x Canon 5D's = $6,000

Seacam 5D w/ Superdome = GUESS $6,200

Total: $12,200

Canon 1DsmkII: $7,150 (reasonable retail price)

Canon 1DmkII: $3,500

Seacam 1DmkII Housing w/ Superdome = $7,200

Total: $17,850

Total considering I already own the 1DmkII: $14,350

OK, so the totals are pretty close when you consider that I've already got one of the cameras. But let's not forget Sarah - I need to replace her 20D also - which is another $1,500.

These are astronomical numbers, and I'm not a professional photographer. Just adding it all up scares the $^&& out of me.

James

These are astronomical numbers, and I'm not a professional photographer.  Just adding it all up scares the $^&& out of me.

James

That is scary when you look at it that way, now stop it! :angry:

Another way to look at it would be lets say you are into water skiing/wake boarding you are still at less than 1/2 of what that sport would set you back just for a decent boat! The point here (I always look at the glass half full) is that there are plenty of other non-work related activities that are just as pricey or more so...

I hope your insurance kicks in and makes your decesion easier...

Keith

James,

As Keith states those are some scary numbers for a "hobby" :angry: But many hobbyists spend the same on various other endeavors....

Adding all that up your highest expense after camera bodies is the Seacam housing replacement, which makes sense if you still have ports, etc. Based on your surface shots of oil rigs which should be saleable in your neck of the oil industry, I still think the costs might be reasonable.

I DO think you could do everything you're currently doing photo wise with the Canon 5D and lighten your load a bit. Plus have a "newer" body style which will likely be in demand on the used market, too.

Shoot what you like as often as possible as trying to build the perfect "kit" is wasting valuable diving, shooting and editing time.....

YMMV

dhaas

If it helps James, thats more money than all my articles and published photos combined!!!

Get a D70s!!

:angry:

James wow much money

But it depens. how much money you have :-) and how serious you take your uw photo.

I mean on the end the are many OLDBOYS as we there out that have expensive toys without to need them...

I have many friends that have give a left arm to buy a luxuscar that they use to drive to the weekends and if i say that my nikon d70s with housing etc. cost that amount off money they call me crazy...

Maybe is one altenative more. to wait... I mean very very soon is canon comming out with a succesor of D20.. we dont know what it will be but maybe it will be intresting, if not for you maybe for Sarah (and you can use it for time to time :-)

Anyway if you whant it buy it. You are a good photogpapher , bertter that some Pros. Just buy a camra that you need...

I think Canon 5D will drop in the summertime so maybe you can weait for the second housing

Lambis

James .. my 2 cent ... the 1d series can't be beat .. the 5d is nice ... BUT if you can afford the 1d and this insurance deal gives you a reason to do so .. the there is no question .. the 5d will be replaced more often and probably sooner than the 1d series will have any major changes.

I know all of us in the UW world may want smaller and lighter .. but land based pro's aren't that concerned about it .. especially the ones i know who are very much travelling land photo guys and girls ...

I personally would get a 1d mkII over a 1ds mkII even though you already have one .. i just think they are a better camera . the full frame thing doesn't do it for me.

Hey James,

Do you really need a back up camera? That would reduce your bill a great deal. As you say you are not a pro, so while it would be disappointing if a camera went wrong on a trip, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Alex

Knock on wood - I haven't had a camera go bad on a trip yet, but I do believe that a system is not complete without a backup camera. It certainly keeps my mind at ease when I travel!!! If the cost of a backup is prohibitive, I'd go for a less expensive model.

A topside camera is essential for me, and it just makes sense to have the same body for backup purposes. Are there Canon film bodies with the same layout as the 1D?

I had a D100 die on me in Lembeh on day 8 of 15. If I didn't have a backup, my photo trip would have been over. It is an issue of balancing your money with gear and lifestyle, but ever since I got into diving, especially for science, redundancy is essential. There have been MANY times where redundancy has saved my ass, from regulator failures, to cameras failures. In my opinion, you should budget in redundancy if you can swing it because then you have to add in those times when you $10,000 trip is cut short. Now that makes for a really expensive camera setup. :angry::lol:

Joe

Hi guys,

I agree that redundancy is important. That's why it makes sense for Sarah and I to both shoot the 5D. We can get a total of two 5D's and another compact setup to use as a backup. If we go w/ one Seacam setup and one Ikelite or Aquatica setup then I already have the ports I need. Plus, it will be nice to have both of us shooting a FF setup and not have to worry about lenses for cropped sensor cameras.

For trips that I'm on by myself, I can bring both of the 5D's. For trips that we're on together, whoever floods their 5D has to use the compact...:-)

Cheers

James

James,

Don't you mean if you flood your housing Sarah gives hers up to you, and if she floods her housing, she gets the inexpensive backup? :angry:

Joe, absolutely not, no, never. Do you think I'd say something like that on a public forum!?!?

James

James, I know the dilemma you are going through. Canon’s 1D mk series digitals (both the 8.2 and 16) really deliver the goods, but so does their new 5D, which I have to say is nice camera. Seacam’s housing is (although a little heavy) a beautiful match with the 1D’s.

I am not sure of your urgency for a replacement. Right now, I am waiting on delivery of Subal’s housing for the 5D, which, hopefully will be in before the end of this month. Knowing Seacam, delivery time for their new housing in the states will likely be some time in late April or May.

You want matching cameras? Go with the 5D.

Size, travel etc etc. Especially now with all the airline baggage bullshit.

You don't need the 1Ds series to take a great pic.

Don't let the penis envy crap get in the way. I shoot a D70 and get many pictures published and make money at it.

For me, the 5D size is way better than the D2X or Mark series stuff for travel which is mostly what you do.

Remember Jim Watt, Tim Rock, and I believe Doug Perrine all shoot 20D underwater

Walt (another big selling photog) just said 5D.

Sorry, but the diff in the two to me is a penis envy thing....

Go with the 5D

Mike, why don't you tell us how you really feel? :-)

Cheers

James

Mike, why don't you tell us how you really feel? :-)

Cheers

James

:angry::lol::P

I just came back from watching the worst officiated NFL game in history and i am a wee bit under the influence of beer..... :o:)

;):P

But i still stand by it....

James,

Despite Mike watching American football and the associated accoutrements (!!!!!!) what he says is absolutely true. I'm 99% sure Doug Perrine is already shooting a 5D (in an Ikelite housing and using eTTL2), and likely Watt, Masa and other Canon shooters.

If you and Sarah both migrated to the Canon 5D you could not only lighten your load traveling but be consistent with lens choices versus 1.6X crop and full frame dilemmas.

You could likely sell your Seacam ports and associated gizmos to a dedicated Seacam user and then decide what housing(s) make sense for you and the Missus to use side by side.

In today's world where new technology eclipses the old, usually bringing lighter and smaller gear, this might be the time for you to make that move saving some $$$$ for more frequent travel :angry:

YMMV

dhaas

post-244-1139237250_thumb.jpg

Dave,

You'll have to pry my Seacam viewfinder from my cold dead hands mi amigo.

I'm starting to think that the viewfinder is one of the most, if not THE most important parts of the system. This is after shooting macro and super macro for 3 weeks in Bali.

Cheers

James

James,

Yeah I know how much you like your Seacam stuff.....Can't remember which viewfinder you have though. I guess any small difference is important if you are a tele-macro shooter.....

I'm really surprised to see photos from the Tokyo Dive festival showing metal housing mfgs. building housings for what will surely be an "old style" camera body in less than a year I'd bet. Canon 5D will likely become the "new" standard size...

Might be good for you 1D guys to pick up a second housing body, though.

"Run what you brung" :angry:

dhaas

Oh yeah,

Unitl you GET another Seacam housing you should amend your equipment list to read:

"Ports, lens gears, no housing :angry:

I'm really surprised to see photos from the Tokyo Dive festival showing metal housing mfgs. building housings for what will surely be an "old style" camera body in less than a year I'd bet. Canon 5D will likely become the "new" standard size...

Might be good for you 1D guys to pick up a second housing body, though.

I disagree, Dave. The 1D body is the right size if you are shooting both landscape and portrait grips. People shoot using the vertical grip all the time, while on land. That's why they sell one for the smaller bodies.

The 1D-series is proven, solid, weather-sealed, has a 100% viewfinder, and a huge, uh... "longer" buffer (that's for you, Mike. :angry: ). The 45-pt autofocus has been invaluable when used for tracking fast-moving animals around the viewfinder (e.g. flying birds). I also enjoy not caring about getting splashed or rained upon. If I were shooting 5D/20D, I would be much more paranoid.

There will always be a place for the 1D in Canon's line. And in fact, it's pretty much the only body style that has been stable (from a design perspective for use in underwater housings) since September of 2001, when the 1D came out. The "N" updates will change the back a bit, but at least things were stable for 4.5 years.

I tried to resist posting here; I don't enjoy these camera debates because often, there is no correct answer. Uninformed speculation about what the "pros" shoot doesn't help much, either. Make a decision, go underwater, and shoot!

Thank you Eric at long last someone agreeing with me ..

.. pro bodies have been that way for a while ... because pro's like it that way .. it has function as well as looking cool (although that wasn't exactly how Eric put it)

it's not just an extension for envy Mike :angry:

Giles -- if I had know that you wanted validation, I would have posted earlier! hehehe. :angry:

Sponsors

Advertisements