Sign in to follow this  
Lndr

Wide Angle Seadragon

I'm in two minds about this shot. I specifically wanted a shot of seadragon(s) that showed the animal in its habitat and, secondly, which was "typical" of Jervis Bay habitat.

What do people think of the result?

post-1321-1138836991_thumb.jpg

My indecisiveness comes more from the impact of a shot trying to acheive this and also have some (not a huge amount req'd :D ) wow factor that these critters have. I found the shot looks nice on the screen, but when re-sizing a lot of the colour and contrast of the animal is lost ...

post-1321-1138837263_thumb.jpg

Any suggestions / improvements welcome

cheers

Leander

I would love to have a photo of one of those guys, however, I think I would like a little tighter shot. The left water space adds no interest.

Incredible animals.....I would love the opportunity to see and photograph one also....your shot is very good, but more could be done to give it impact

I agree with Mary Lou, tighter with some separation from the reef......I think a 10.5 CFWA from 12" would be an awesome shot.....and then some macros of the beautiful markings

Karl

I like how you lighted the dragon but you can see the strobe hot spot but technically you are fine, I like the exposure and sharpness. If you are going to try a shot like this you don't really want the subject in the dead center.

I will say the subject is very engaging, giving an almost fantasy like quality to the image which saves it as keeper .

Agreeing with the others the most basic rule of UW photography - GET CLOSE, Hopefully you may have a closer one. I would have burned a whole card on such a great subject if possible. You usually want to get the eyes in the pic of any type of wildlife UW or land. You could have gotten much tighter and still used some of the plant life as negative space to show habitat. Below is an example by cropping your pic. If you got this close originally all the detail would be there to make it a great shot. I am not sure I understand the 2nd post. Would love to see more of the dragon if you have them.

post-5493-1138848344_thumb.jpg

get close you say :D

post-1321-1138851968_thumb.jpg

[EDIT: I meant: The original shot posted ... ] this was shot originally with a 18 - 55mm (at the 18 end). I would have been 0.5m away from the weedy. I hope to take the 10.5mm out as soon as we get some clearer water come in. At the moment we have a lot of really chunky green algae in the water column ;)

While I agree with the separation, it is not something that comes naturally to a weedy. Those guys are easily stressed and head for the kelp and the bottom when they are paid any attention.

Here I have some separation (from the forced perspective of the wide angle). I didn't pick this one originally because my client wanted some blue water shots (bless her heart doesn't dive and can't imagine our water is green & chunky :D )

post-1321-1138852894_thumb.jpg

PS yes the hotspot makes me ... well, *blush*

Would love to see more of the dragon if you have them.

... some more weedys for those of you who don't have to swat these guys out of the way to get to the unusual stuff :D:D ...

post-1321-1138857969_thumb.jpg

post-1321-1138858357_thumb.jpg

Your first shot fits the bill given your client's brief, but it could have been improved by using a second strobe on the left to light up the kelp. You'd have those rich yellow tones instead of a dull dark green, and the second weedy would have been lit up too.

It's definitely possible to achieve a very pleasant result with a wide-angle shot of a weedy (got some from Kurnell), although you often need a bit of tweaking to get a blue instead of jade green background!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements