Sign in to follow this  
averell

UK HID Light CANNON 100 focus light?

Well, has anyone tried this focus light: Underwater Kinetics HID Light CANNON 100?

it looks like a very good value for money: very bright (10W HID=30W halogen), optionnal battery pack with 2 hours battery life, fits my YS arm, not so expensive and the beam has a color closer from sunlight than halogen lights.

canon100hid.jpg

option.jpg

http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp_category_56

http://www.uwkinetics.com/D_LC100.htm

The Light Cannon is a great dive light, and I've used them for years. I ocassionally use it as a focus light, and it works ok for this purpose. Being an HID light, it has a blue cast to the light. I would not go so far as to say it is anywhere close to sunlight. If you stick to very fast shutter speeds (1/250+) you should be able to minimize the blue in your photos. I've had good results with it, but am not totally happy it.

The Light Cannon comes with a couple of plastic difusers and you will want to use one or two of these to spread out the beam as a focus light.

I don't use the recharger pack, but 8 rechargeable C cells. If I am using it as a focus light I don't use the highest density cells because they make the light really heavy. Still, you should be able to get about 90 - 120 minutes of light from it.

As a flashlight, it's very good for murky waters such as the Pacific Northwest, but I find it overkill in clear water. It's a great deal at < $200 but don't get it grey market or you may have trouble getting it repaired. UK is pretty good about service though.

Dave

http://www.pbase.com/davehicks

Hello Dave,

thank you for your advise. Since I have posted my message it's not the first time that I read it's not a very appropriate focus light because it makes blue pictures @ low shutter speed..

The UK C8 would have been a good choice for my budget. It has a rechargeable kit and last long but it is not possible to fix it on my sea&sea arm.

026048_big.jpg

bye

I prefer much smaller and lighters strobes for general use and especially as modeling light.

I don’t like the big & heavy ones, its more weight to package and take on planes, it's less comfortable on the strobes arms, and the batteries are very heavy...

I try to use only AA batteries so I can use the same chargers for all my equipment.

But it’s a matter of your needs, for my type of diving and conditions it's better the small ones but for others its may be different.

Yes, the UK are big lights, almost 3 pounds.

There is the fisheye HG-20DX that is smaller & lighter but it's "expensive". The sea&sea LX-15 is in my budget. I think I would have bought one unless Yuzo had one in stock. The sea&sea LX-25 looks good too...

If you're looking to get an affordable yet effective focus light you might wnat to consider our SLX :unsure: Please see my signature for more information and feel free to ask me any questions you have.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements