NWDiver

Let’s see your WP, DivePhotoGuide Entries!

So I thought “no way I am entering this given the incredible caliber of photos I see posted by others here" but at the last minute decided what the heck and rushed a couple of entries in. Think I completely botched the format, oh well.

So I will go first, here are a couple of mine. Now show me what I have to aspire to…

"no way I am entering this given the incredible caliber of photos I see posted by others here"

Yours are nice. Mine..not so. I considered my entry fee a donation to this great site. I love the mantas.

Remember guys, Alex and Eric are judges. Hopefully they will not read this but if they do it could unconsciously influence their judging. (for or against I have no clue...)

Never occurred to me that people would be worried about influencing the judges. So I have deleted my photos and maybe this is a post for after the judging is done. After these things you just see the winners and a couple of honorable mentions. I had hoped to get a better view of what people are doing out there.

Just wait a day.

I have asked Alex and Eric not to look at this. Provided they say they will not look, it should be safe to post your pics. I do agree it would be interesting to see what everyone submitted.

Because Eric and Alex are judges I also have not opened up my Raja Amphat Gallery. I felt it was best to delay it and avoid posting any shots remotely close to what was entered to ensure the shots remain anonymous.

I think we should hold off till judging is complete and then this thread would be more appropriate.

IMHO

Todd

I agree with Todd, lets leave this until after the results have been posted.

Not that long actually and would be interesting to see the gamut of entries that is for sure.

You must all be forgetting that Eric goes through all entries submitted, as they are received, prior to the judging. At that point, consciously or not, the names are linked with the photos.

But all this worrying is funny to read.

~Matt Segal

Just had a scanner for less than 1 month but did scann and enter 12 shots. Since I have 25 years of U/w slides the scanner work load seems endless. I went with the uncropped catagories more as I fell that is my strong suit with film. As I'm a newby to photoshop this area of traditional work fits my best shots as well I try not to shoot unless it all looks good in the sportfinder. With the digital explosion there seems to be more contests that ever now. I could spend all my time entering if I did not already have alot to do.-Back to the studio pots to throw. I hope I place somewhere- Mark

It would be great to have them post all the shots at a gallery after the judging. Just a thought

Although I agree that there should be no postings of entries until after the contest, Martin brings up a good point. We rarely get to see any of the other entries that don't win. I have a few other photographer friends (very good photographers I might add) and I see what they enter in competitions. Sometimes it is mind blowing as to what wins and what doesn't....what the hell were the judges thinking by choosing that image over one that never made it to the final cut that is totally fantastic and unique? This mostly happens due to the lack of real world photography experience by the judges, or because a mediocre photographer is selected as a judge and has no clue what goes into a terrific image. So when you have ONE experienced photographer on the judging committee, he/she rules the roost; what they like personally becomes the scope of the judging and that is simply not fair. I have a document that was written by Jim Church who shared with me what his experiences as a judge entailed. I can paraphrase that it was very eye opening as to what goes on during a judging, including what I just wrote above.

I despise the fact that after a competition one judge reveals he/she likes patterns, so that was the bias of the entire competition. If photographers enter very well shot, hard to get behavioral subjects, for example, they are screwed if the judges like sea urchins that don't move. It is simply unfair to every photographer who spends $10 for each entry and is automatically eliminated because of the unadvertised preference of the judging staff. That being said, I agree with Martin. I would love to see the entries that don't win because my guess is that most will be every bit as good as the winning images, if not better. It all depends on the judges, their practical hands on experience and what criteria of fairness (with no hidden agenda) they ultimately use.

Joe

I know I see the winners and always thing WOW of course that won. I just wanted to see what else people are doing, get more ideas beyond the fish portraits I seem to shoot. I think it will be a great thread when the judging is done.

Hi Martin,

I ageree. I think Eric and the gang will do a great job on this competition and I really look forward to seeing the winning and non-winning entries. The thing the forum will have to be careful of (and I hope this does not happen) is questioning the judges after the fact as to why "my" photo didn't win over that one. This is perhaps the first competition where all the entrants will likely see the pics that didn't place...that could be exciting and scary at the same time. :lol::angry:

Joe

any contest of an artistic nature will always have a subjective slant, depending on the judges tastes. I'm sure the same batch of photos judged by several different panels of judges wood likely give different results. Most of the photos entered are fabulous, and many could be winners. I dont envy the job of the judges

Without a doubt the thread would have to have a big NO QUESTIONING THE JUDGES DECISIONS or you Banned header! Well last post for me for 2wks off to Thailand and 5 days in the Similans!

There are some great points on judging above. I my line of work which is making and selling pottery in juried Art shows around the west coast for 30 years I have a pretty goog feeling about the judging of photos/work. It all sums up to its always a crap shoot and I never take it personally. The jury(judges) pick artists from photos and it's never about what is best or fair in everyones mind . Some real junk is let in and some great work is given the boot. The thing is for me its about what those judges feel at that time of seeing the slides and each rate's them. It's a judgement call like a refferee in sports-not always a good call but one that needs to be made. Many times I'm out of the show until next year and that life. I never take it personally . It would be great to see all the entries just to see the variity. Mark

Great images and photographers will transcend differences in taste. Nothing is more subjective than a photo contest, but learning what appeals to judges, and a variety of viewers is all a part of the game. I always submit a large variety of images, and Im frequently surprised that the least favorite of my images are the ones that are recognized!

Did anyone hear how many entries they got? Inquiring minds want to know!

Sponsors

Advertisements