seagrant

Harlequin Shrimp-Pls help me choose

I hope this post is not a problem for anyone. I'm in a bit of a dilemma here and I'd really appreciate some helpful feedback and advice. These won't go in the improvement center cause that is more for one pic at a time. But if I try to get help on all my Indonesia images one at a time, I'll be stuck for some time.... :P

If it is a problem for anyone to have 10 images posted in this msg, please let me know and I won't do it again, but they are not attached, so it shouldn't be a problem, unless someone is on dial-up of course, sorry.... ;)

Some of you may know that I spent 50 days in Bali and Alor with land excursion to Java in Sept/Oct 05. It was an incredible trip with everything I wanted to see (except two things for next time!!!), and of course things I didn't think I'd ever get to see (including a thresher shark, real close....)!

I really admire photographers like James Wiseman and Mary Lou Reid, who are able to pick through images and quickly figure which are the best, get them processed in due time, etc. James had his and Sarah's images up lightning fast in my book, well done, I so admire that! But I have it a little tougher. I don't really have good advice quickly available quickly (wonderful hubby doesn't dive or photo & travels on work lot... :angry: ) So I'm left on my own to try to sort through and learn to process, post, etc. images gathered in 121 hours underwater in Bali/Alor during Sept/Oct 05 (+ topside, egads).

I know, poor me........, poor me........... :lol: I dive so much I have too many pics and no time, willow weep for me.......

I've been totally "pokey" on getting these images ready, but I had to learn a lot first also, pretty recent to U/W photography actually, didn't start it till later in my diving career. Also I know there is a lot more to learn and read about composition, etc etc etc, but again if I only learn then I'll never get any of these processed, or posted, or to my friends/relatives who really want a peek at U/W Indonesia.....

OK, that is the end of the "banter". I started first on the harlequin shrimp. I know some of these are better than others. Could you all give me your opinion on which are better (and which aren't as good), say pick 3 for me to print in photo books for relatives, out of these 10? I'd really appreciate it!

Photo data, this was actually my first trip using a strobe!! I didn't even get a strobe till 2005, and these were just taken with one Inon D2000 (I now have two D2000w). Taken with Fuji F810 and various manual settings, all of these with one or two Inon 165 ADs and various focal lengths.

OK, here goes nothing, I know lots of people photo harlequins, but I still thought everyone would be interested in them cause they are sooooo cool!!!! B)

House reef, Seraya, Tulamben, Bali, Sept 05; over a number of dives:

1) I like this one of the male clearly "eating", but a bit macabre for the star...

Harlequin_shrimp_eat2.jpg

2) Another view of him

Harlequin_shrimp_eat_close2.jpg

3) And a 3rd of him, which is best?

Harlequin_shrimp_close_eating.jpg

4) Probably same male on a different dive, but there were several of these around so?

Harlequin_shrimp_blueclose_2253.jpg

5) Close, not sure which individual

Harlequin_shrimp_eye.jpg

6) Female eating

Harlequin_pink2.jpg

7) Female eating again

Harlequin_pink_eating.jpg

8) The pair, she is eating

Harlequin_pair_eating.jpg

9) The pair, I want to pick one of the "pairs" but I not sure about how they turned out...

Harlequin_shrimp_pair.jpg

10) Again the pair

Harlequin_two_shrimp.jpg

Thanks Tons! Carol

No problem with number of photo's. I would have put it in image improvement. Who said you can only post one photo in image improvement? But it is fine here too.

They are all great photos, good focus, exposure, etc. The only composition that stands out to me is #5 The others the camera position just doenst feal right. If I have to pick another two, it would be #3 and #9 but they do not do as much for me as #5.

#4 is my fave

then #8

then #6

I really like #4 the best for sure because of the dark background and the more "upward" view. Unfortunately the tail is not perfectly lit and the DOF is not as great and crisp as the other shots. I still like it the best though. Overall I am really impressed with all of them and how crisp they all are.

I love Tulamben - thanks for the posts!

I only got 6 to download. Of those i like 5 then 4. Its the closeness of those two that do it for me, the first 3 have a little too much empty space i think.

Definately #4 and then #6. For variety I would throw in 9 with them facing different directions.

Todd

Tons of Thanks to Everyone!

It really helps me to get this feedback and it just might make my job of choosing my other photos to keep easier.

Acroporas, I tried reading Eric's "ground rules" on the different sites (including the image improvement center), as I try and make a sometimes feeble attempt to do things as "correct" as possible. I got the idea in Image Improvement that it would be "spam" to members if I posted much more than one image. On this post it really helped me to get all the opinions on 10 of my photos, all seen together in a row.

You know I'd post them on my .Mac site and just include a link but they have changed the .Mac format and now I have to update that and learn all over again how to use the new procedures..............., aaaargh, it seems like it is always something needs to be updated, learned, tweaked, etc. How does anyone actually get to processing all their RAW photos??? :P

I've very self-taught here and am very easily confused!!!! :angry:

But thanks again all, this really helped me. I'm glad 10 photos wasn't a problem, for everyone except Mike......... sorry......., but Mike you will be seeing these guys during your photo class in Bali, so better start dreaming up new and better ways to photo them!!! I never thought I'd see them, as I had missed the similar ones in Hawaii, so it was just very "in the moment" trying to figure it out for me............, as are most things underwater! :lol:

Best, C

Hey Carol:

The problem is there is not a real consensus on the pics with everyone or yourself, which means either you have a ton of great pics, or there is no standout.

All the pics are a fine representation of such a uncommon shrimp., I like the lighting on the first few and the compositions of some of the others. I think I would take the time on pics 4 and 6 in photoshop to try and get them a little brighter in some areas including some cropping. I have some wild ideas of duplicating the right shrimp in 9 and making a new picture but I won't get into that. See how this looks on your monitor. Some minor adjustments.

post-5493-1139457640_thumb.jpg

And the other - Brightened up the rear tail part a little among some other things- now I think we have a couple standouts. - Hope to meet you soon - Going to the Keys next month I think.

-Steve

post-5493-1139459115_thumb.jpg

I think you need to calibrate your monitor Steve :angry::lol:

~Matt Segal

I have been concerned with that but my prints come out just right so I hate to change anything but let me know what looks wrong, if it is a contrast, color problem etc. maybe too orangey - Thanks

Thanks Steve and Matt!

I am getting an idea here of what grabs photographers, so it has all been helpful.

Steve, I think your intentions were great, in fact funny thing is I almost deleted #5 before I even processed through RAW because of the shadowy areas, etc., but I'm glad I didn't delete cause it has turned out to be one of the favs. Who knew? I think the shadowy areas might be a good thing.

I like what you did Steve, but the contrast/saturation does seem a bit much and the colors are a bit unnatural. Still I may do more with those two, but first I'll see how they print out.

My monitor seems to be quite accurate (Apple Cinema), but I wouldn't bet $$$ on it!!!

Thanks again, I'm continuing on with my "Shrimp" folder, good thing I didn't start with the "Slugs" folder, that one is just too big!

Thx, C :unsure:

#4 is my fav because it has depth to it. The tail fading into darker territory with the positioning of the animal gives it impact.

I am jealous because I have not yet had an opportunity to see or photograph one of these dudes.

Joe

Thanks, Kelpfish, I'm beginning to like shadows a lot too, especially since I only had one strobe on that trip.............., I seem to have a lot (by mistake.. :unsure: ), but I think I'll pass them off now as "by design :huh: ". Makes me seem a bit more intelligent. :o

Anyway thanks, I think these guys are regulars at the house reef at Seraya, Tulamben, Bali and also near the Liberty Wreck from time to time. I'm sure Graham Abbott or one of the folks that dives Bali constantly could clue you in where they are if you ever decide to go.

I just loved Bali, sooooooo much diversity from these shrimp to Mola Mola and back to lots of mimic octos and everything else in-between. Then if you can take a liveaboard from Bali - say to Alor - like I did, you will get a huge picture of what Indonesia has to offer!!!

I'm working on more pics as we speak.

But you know, don't feel bad about not seeing these guys - we all want to see unusual things, I'm just dying to get back out to California where you are (I'm a So Cal born gal anyway.....!), and the areas north to see kelp, sculpins, sea lions, etc etc again!!! In fact I'm practicing in my drysuit right now for a trip out there in October!!!

Best, Carol

Sponsors

Advertisements