ce4jesus

Paradise Found!

I can only hope that they seal off the site and allow only small groups of scientific expeditions.

One hopes that we have learned from the past and will do our best to protect the location and all of its species...

~Matt Segal

Wow, outstanding!

What a feeling that must be to discover such a place.

One hopes that we have learned from the past and will do our best to protect the location and all of its species...

"The scientists cut two trails about four kilometers (2.5 miles) long, leaving vast tracts still to be explored."

Nevermind :angry:

~Matt Segal

It's the Heisenberg uncertainty principle at work. You can't observe wilderness without affecting it. But then if you can't observe something then you can't report about it. If you can't report about it you can't inform the public. If they public isn't informed, the wilderness will eventually be destroyed anyway.

So which would you rather have - some wilderness destroyed that no one even knows about, or some wilderness slightly altered by man, but at least protected.

I can tell you right now, there are vast natural gas reserves in PNG and West Papua that some people are "eyeing" very carefully.

James

I suppose my concern is based on my ignorance of how significant these trails are, and of what the current predation situation is in the area.

Cutting trails changes that dynamic, as it allows the predators to move along larger areas in a shorter amount of time, expending less energy, and increasing their hunting range.

They should all have GPS...it's not as if they need a 10ft wide trail to find their way back to the dropoff/pickup point.

~Matt Segal

I can only hope that they seal off the site and allow only small groups of scientific expeditions.

~Matt Segal

By this measure should we, not allow any diving on any reefs, because some species may be affected?

I think it's awesome that there is a find like this, I would love to visit and observe as well. If no one sees it what value to the world or you, does it have?

Has not man been created as curious? What does lie on that next reef or mountain? Should we not explore for the sake of protection of species...that might exisit?

Definitely food for thought.

If the report is correct, they've only scratched the surface on new species. I'm with James on this. It will only be protected if its purity is well publicized and the information used to build public support for an international wildlife reserve. Only our subsidy can spring those governments into action to protect those places. Knowledge will start the process. However, if the action to protect the place doesn't happen quickly, gold diggers will arrive to exploit the resources.

I got a lot of flack from a few divers in 1993 (what's new?) for publicising the existence of the wreck of the Thistlegorm in the Red Sea. They said if other divers knew about it they would destroy it. They were right. But the rub was that they wanted to destroy it themselves, in private!

The dichotomy always remains. People like me get invited to new places to go diving so we can tell everyone all about it. Everyone goes and it is chnaged forever. Watch Raja Ampat, West Papua, lose its uniqueness that only came about because no-one is very aware of it (yet).

The site I read had lots of beautiful images of flowers and other creatures. Quite fantastic, I must say. I'll see if I can dig up the link I saw.

Joe

Sponsors

Advertisements